SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rkarthistory

Help Me Reconfigure my 2nd Floor

rkarthistory
6 years ago

Hi All,

Love this forum and long time lurker. We are in the early stages of considering a second floor remodel. Before we hired an architect I thought source a few ideas from you all to see what you think *might* be possible. Right now our house is 3 bed, 2.5 bath with a first floor master. We want to add a 4th bed to the 2nd floor. As you can see in the attached floor plan the 2nd level currently has 2 bedrooms, a bonus room, and a jack 'n jill bathroom. The obvious place to do this is Bedroom 3 with its huge long narrow footprint, right now we have the space split into 2 zones -- an office and a guest bedroom. Challenge: the extended area has dramatic eaves (53 inch high wall before the slope).

We are considering adding a shed dormer to maximize the unfinished storage space behind Bedroom 2 and the Bathroom--but are at a loss as to how to reconfigure the space to maximize efficiency and get the most use out of this floor. Right now there are a LOT of doors...

Some things not evident from the barebones floor plan

1) there is an entrance into Bedroom 3 at the top of the stairs--meaning @ present there are 2 doorways in that room

2) there is a double window on the small bump out in Bedroom 3 which makes it impossible to simply put a wall up and bisect the room. Maybe its cheaper to just create 2 separate windows in that space to put the wall?

3) the Walk In Closets are walk in, but have eaves so very little standing room space---these face the front of the house and are located in the gables so it is not an option to put dormers here.

4) we are not sold on keeping a jack n jill--but rather need a "kids bathroom" and one that is guest friendly.

5) we use the bonus room as a playroom so are not keen on losing that space. the 2 lines you see between the WIC mark the 2 dormers on the front of the house.

Would love any and all suggestions you guys might have! Thanks in advance. Please let me know if there are other questions.

Comment (1)