SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

Is balling always caused by a fungus?

KnoxRose z7
6 years ago

I've been doing a lot of googling on balling lately because it has been quite an issue for me this spring. We received several consecutive rainy days right as my roses were putting on tons of buds for the spring bloom, and so many were ruined by the rain, which was very disappointing, including many buds on my highly anticipated Madame Anisette which did not bloom at all after planting it last year and had a fairly decent number of large buds when The rains hit.

The rose that seems most affected by balling so far this year, (and last year now that I think about it) is Belinda's Dream, and since it is an Earthkind rose that never shows signs of foliar disease, I'm wondering if I'm dealing with a fungus, or if as several articles I've read have stated, that the petals are just too thin to stand up to that much moisture followed by a quick baking hot sun. Whatever the case, Belinda's Dream is so much affected by this issue that I will say only about 50% of her flowers ever actually open, which really discourages me from having her in my garden at all since the whole reason I have her to begin with is because she is supposed to be extremely healthy.

Whenever I read descriptions of botrytis it describes the texture of the ruined flower as "slimy", and my flowers have never shown signs of being slimy, I would describe them as shriveled and crunchy, but not really ever "slimy". It might be the same thing and I might just be missing the slimy phase, but if this is being caused by a fungus I am disappointed to see that an Earthkind rose is the worst offender out of my 80+ types of roses.

Comments (19)