SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oman4eva

Always prune tree branch to collar?

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

I am a novice gardener but recently bought a few trees and transplanted them into my garden. The trees had some damage on some of their branches from transport / living in a pot. I pruned this just below then next good sprout however since reading online i think i should prune the entire branch all the way back to the trunk of the tree / collar of the branch.

See the attached photos, first one if of a peach tree which i tried to prune back some thin branches that aren't sprouting leaves and appear dead. Perhaps i should just prune the hole branch back to the collar? There's 4-6 of these small thin branches.

The next tree is a Magnolia Saucer and had a tear in the bark at the end of one branch. I pruned a small 3-4" length off back to the next good sprout. However apparently Magnolias will sprout like crazy and it's better to prune to collar. Should i prune to collar now or leave it be?

Lastly after planting the magnolia i found these detailed instructions , they specify to put slits in the root ball to allow the roots to spread and they also ask that the upper most root is at the surface of the garden. I didn't do this, should i quickly dig up the tree and do these steps before things settle too much?

cheers

oman

Comments (8)