SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cliffpruitt

Garlic & Baking Soda Spray Causing Sever Leaf Drop - Any Advice?

Cliff Pruitt
8 years ago

I recently noticed aphids had taken to my Pepper plants. Previously I've used a spray of water, garlic, Baking soda and soap that kept some fungus off plants but also served to kill aphids. Yesterday was Fathers Day and as my Family wanted to spend time with me I didn't want to take too much time outside so I rather hastily mixed up some spray and sprayed the plants. I KNOW I should always test a few leaves first, but I was in a rush and using a spray I'd had work fine in the past on the same plants so I "took a short cut". Stupid, I know.

Well, I don't know if I prepared it incorrectly or what happened but today these pepper plants look absolutely horrible. Some have browning, curled leaves while others, like my Jalapeno have dropped maybe 80% of their leaves.

This is Summer in FL, so apart from peppers I don't have much growing. Some of these peppers (e.g. Rocotellos) seem to be quite slow growing to begin with, and I'm just beginning to get ripe pods. I'm not sure I'd have much time to start over. Is there anything I can do to salvage these plants or speed recovery? If it's just a matter of burned leaves, would removing all the currently maturing peppers help speed new leaf growth?

Man... what a frustrating mistake to make...

Thanks for anyone with some advice to share.

Comment