SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buck1173

I read the FAQ but still need advice please - Blossom Drop

buck1173
15 years ago

Kindly, what are all the possible reasons that spring to mind for BD?

Lack of anything? Too much of anything? Certain strains just like to drop blossoms?

I'm still experiencing an alarming amount of BD on certain plants. Like 40% loss on oh, 30% of my plants.

My plants are in full sun, sunrise to sunset. I water once a week very deeply with a soaker hose, and there is about 2" of mulch on the beds.

When the BD started about 4 weeks ago, we did have a horrendous run of hot sticky days and hot sticky nights.. If figured that was that. While many plants recovered however, many did not and are still dropping blossoms.

The soil was amended a week before planting (4/15/08) with Espoma garden tone as per instructions. I gave my seedlings a mild fish fert when they went in the ground, I gave them a full dose of fish fert 2 weeks after being in the ground, and sidedressed them w/ Espoma about 3 weeks ago (just after the hot stressful weather as I noticed the BD). At that time a few plants looked as if they had some chlorosis, so they were amended w/ some epsom salts and green sand. Last week I selectively sidedressed lightly with some phosphate too. but the plants I sidedressed were not the ones dropping blossoms, the sickly rolly wilty ones.

My hot and sweet peppers also suffered some BD but not much.

I haven't really pruned much this year either, I was thinking that might stress a plant to BD, but the ones that are dropping really haven't been touched.

Most of the plants look relatively healthy and are putting forth tons of blooms. I have a few that never recovered from a leaf roll and are very slowly wilting away, but those plants are covered in fruit and blossoms and aren't dropping blossoms hardly at all.

I have a tremendous amount of pollinators visiting daily too, and the tomato bed gets blasted daily by breezes coming across the cornfields. Should I go out and shake? Give 'em a blast with a leaf blower?

We're due for another heat wave for the next several days, and I'm concerned I'm going to loose all my blossoms : (

really hate seeing my potential 'maters yellow off and drop away.... its really bothering me... thanks all!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus