SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iris_lau

Input on cause of ficus lyrata leaf drop

Hello. I got my fiddle leaf fig at the end of March. It had signs of being overwatered at the store and is in what looks like a fine standard indoor potting mix. The plan was to repot in June. I had dried it out, only watered when a bamboo skewer inserted all the way through the pot was dry (averages out to be about 14 days). It stayed up in front of a west facing window and got maybe 2-3 hrs of direct light, with the rest being indirect. I went on a 13 day trip, watered it just before I left (the skewer was dry) and when I came back yesterday, it dropped 50% of its leaves.

Wanted to know what your thoughts were on why it dropped the leaves. I didn't think anything changed except for maybe less circulation (no windows were opened when I was gone). Unless somehow I had over/underwatered it to begin with (which I didn't think I was). Or maybe bugs? I found these guys mid April or so on a leaf and I wiped it down with alcohol.

Any input is highly appreciated. I'm not sure what I should change or just stay the course and hope nothing else bad happens... I'm forgoing the plan to repot in June and holding off fertilizing.

Before:

After:

Bugs (white dots on the stem/base of the leaf):

Comments (39)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor