SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Do You Have Mother's Day Plans?

Marilyn Sue McClintock
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We do, we shall have a pitch in dinner at our youngest and her husband's home. We will also celebrate some birthdays that were in the end of April and in May. We plan to have the following,

chicken on the grill

hot dogs

ham

baked beans

candied sweet potatoes

roasted potatoes

corn

broccoli

marinated salad

peach cake

birthday cake

black raspberry pie

another pie

and whatever else we all decide to fix and bring.

There will be several of us there. It should be a fun time. I hope you all have a great weekend too.

Sue in Central Indiana

Comments (39)

• caflowerluver
    6 years ago

We are cooking a steak on the grill on Sunday. I hate crowds so don't want to go out to eat. My son is giving me an early present for Mom's Day. He is taking me to see the movie 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' today.

• Related Discussions

What Will You Do in Your Garden Mother's Day Weekend?

Q

Comments (12)
    For Mother's Day Weekend I worked at my local garden center. It was packed non-stop customers Fri. Sat. and Sun. It is such a wonderful festive weekend at the nursery, live music and free hotdogs. What I especially enjoy is the wonderful crowd that comes through.. everyone is in a great mood, happy and smiling. I did get a few small windows of opportunity to tweak my waterfall/ pond which continues to leak.. I just might have to tear the waterfall apart, again, and find that leak.. it's enough of a leak so that I have to top off my pond every three days.. fortunately the leak leads into my bog garden, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.. might just leave the repairs for the end of summer, cause I have spent way too much time on the waterfall and it's now time to get to the plants!!! I put in a raised veggie bed earlier in the week and was able to plant some veggies. Bought my veggie plants and hope to have them in within the week. So it's been a garden/ plant filled weekend with work around my yard and at the garden center.
    ...See More

May Day-Derby Day-Mother Goose Day...what did you do?

Q

Comments (26)
    Luckygal, where in the world are you? Somewhere near a beach obviously--but which one. Sorry no good luck on the TS shopping, do keep trying! Jeanne, I have two baker's racks outside, one is a corner unit--but neither look nearly as cute as yours with your collections and vignettes. I need to work on mine I think. That is so neat that you do the Farmer's market too. Candy, I'm another one who does tablescapes for my "imaginary" friends. DH will only eat at the table when we have company--rest of the time he prefers to eat in front of the tv. Karen, I didn't do a table, but I did glue a little cheese tray and glass dome on a pedestal and decorate it--can I get any points for that? ;o) Kathleen, the rooster napkins like in your photo that you shared with me are some of my favs. We don't do sit down breakfast often, but I like to just sit the table and display them on the plates because they look so cute.
    ...See More

Do You Have Plans for Valentine's Day?

Q

Comments (16)
    Sue: After reading your latest post about your husband never doing things for you on Vday or your birthday, I just had to post about what my then husband did one year. All the guys he worked with were talking about what they were getting their wives for Vday, and when he said "nothing", they started in on him. They embarrassed him so much that on Vday, he brought me a box of chocolate covered cherries. He went to work and very proudly told the guys. He should have just shut his mouth but he had to 'brag' that the candy did double-duty as it was also for my birthday on the 15th. They razzed him for a long time over his cheapness. It was the ONLY time though that he ever got me anything for either day. Ahem, do you think that might be part of the reason he's my ex? lol Shirley
    ...See More

Do Any Of You Have Plans For Memorial Day?

Q

Comments (18)
    Granlan, that is the way we feel about my father who died in 1960. My husband died two years ago and it comforts me to visit his grave which is in his home town. It is in Lindsborg, Ks and is called Little Sweden. I visit places we went together and have lunch at the Ole Stuga. I also put flowers on his family's graves for his sister who lives out of state.
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Sunday we will be having the neighbors over. My husband is going to cook a stuffed pork loin on the grill. I have an assortment of veggies that I will marinade and cook on the grill to go with it and some grilled corn on the cob.

Saturday afternoon is the celebration of life for my neighbor that passed away.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

No plans. My daughter is working, so we will probably get together next week and have lunch, which is what we usually do. She will bring me truffles, a plant and a bag of goodies from Trader Joe's. It's the same every year but I enjoy the that it is always the same.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marilyn_c
  • DawnInCal
    6 years ago

My goodness, Marilyn Sue, that is a feast you'll be having on Sunday!

seniorgal, that sounds lovely. I hope you see lots and lots of flowers that day.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked DawnInCal
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Sue it all sounds wonderful.

Seniorgal, your plans brought back wonderful memories. Spring and fall as a child was often spent on a Sunday taking a drive on the country roads, looking at nature, and singing Bobby Vinton songs, She wore Blue Velvet oh oh.....and getting ice cream cones. Mom was alive and so young and beautiful as were my two brothers alive and my little sister loved me than...how I miss those carefree days.

I didn't know what I wanted to do for Mothers Day, but I do now.. a picnic lunch out by the lake and a drive in the country and of course ice cream cones. With hubs, my daughter Amiee and my two little boys...Thank you Seniorgal, for reminding me that a simple peaceful day can be so wonderful.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked mamapinky0
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Picnic menu

Fried chicken..made the day before

Potato salad

Raw veggies and dip

Fresh fruits

Crusty rolls and butter

Baked beans

Chocolate cake

My favorate picnic foods and all can be made the day before.

Toss in a tablecloth plastic dinnerware, napkins, a large jug of sweet tea and were good to go.

I feel happy now as I was not looking forward to staying home and spending the day cooking..this will be the best Mothers Day ever!!!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked mamapinky0
  • Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I got a new SUV today so I think that is my entire gift.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elizabeth
  • JoAnn_Fla
    6 years ago

not doing anything as usual :^(

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I offered to do brunch at my house as we'll also be celebrating DD's Bday which is tomorrow. DD wants to either go to the brunch at their club or to her restaurant. We will come back here for the homemade angel food cake, whipped cream and red raspberries. I think she's just trying to spare me, and she is too tired to do it - has been back and forth to Nashville for the past 3 weeks getting new hotel and restaurant open. Know she's exhausted... This is the 7th she's opened in the past 10 years. Busy and SO capable!

• jemdandy
    6 years ago

We are going to celebrate on Saturday when restaurants won't be as busy. My two boys will be coming by and I'm taking everyone out for lunch. The wife gets prime rib if she wants. This is what she wanted this year, to sit at a meal with her two sons and chat awhile. The oldest lives in a city 9 miles from ours and the younger one is 70 miles away. However, these guys are not home-bodies and do not visit us unless there is a need. So, this year, I've made arrangements for us to meet over a meal with my wife the center of attention.

• Kathsgrdn
    6 years ago

I'm working, 12 1./2 hours. Not that I'd be doing anything even if I weren't.

• wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

No. DD and I went out to dinner last night. Left the grands at home with daddy. First time just the two of us in what seems like years. I thought I was taking her out but she grabbed the check first and said Happy Mother's Day. We both decided we needed to do this more often on a regular basis. Love the grands but it was sooo nice to have an adult conversation without interruption.

DH is having some issues and is stuck at home this week. No driving ,no working. I suggested we go out for a late lunch/early dinner on Friday. We can call it Mother's Day lunch if he wants. ;-)

• lgmd_gaz
    6 years ago

Daughter said that she would 'gift me' a shopping trip wherever I want to go. I chose a trip to all the local nurseries just to see all the offerings of plants/flowers this year. I will choose what I want for her to plant in my 2 big pots that I used to plant and place in front of the garage. I have been physically unable to plant them in the last 2 years. I have missed having that bright spot in front of the house. After that is done, we will order pizza.

• Bobbi
    6 years ago

Had plans for an outing to a museum and dinner with daughter. She came down with strep and has been off work all week. We will do it another time.

• phoggie
    6 years ago

I am being treated to a Garth and Trisha concert!

• satine_gw
    6 years ago

I joining one daughter and her family at their home along with her inlaws for dinner. My daughter is traveling for work Friday and Saturday not getting back until the wee hours Sunday morning. They will grill and we will all bring the sides since she won't be home to prepare. Also is my son in law's Bday so I'll bring a cake along with a side or two.

• joyfulguy
    6 years ago

Not much.

My Mom died 75 years ago, when I was 13, after having been in a psych hospital for about 8 years, from not long after the birth of my youngest brother. It was the hospital where my ex- worked for a number of years, many years later.

Dad was an only child, so grew up mainly among adults, and after Mom's illness and death, having needed to care for his newly-widowed mother and his three boys, put a substantial portion of his emotional being into rather cold storage, I think.

I regret that I wasn't more available to my ex- emotionally, and think that had Mom been around for more of my early years, I'd have learned more from each of my parents of that aspect of life, at home.

Kids, one married for a few years and in a couple of relationships since, and the other never married lost their Mom at around 40 ... and no grandkids.

ole joyful ... most of the time

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

Sorry to read that ole joyful. Glad you have your kids. I was estranged from my toxic parents so made myself parent me as best I could. I'd say things like a real parent would love you even when you make mistakes. Or don't be afraid to show love and accept love, you are lovable. Things like that. It was corny and I've never shared how I coped but it worked. I was able to be demonstrative and loving to my family and extended family. The best trick was pretending I trusted people.

We're going out for dinner on Sunday to celebrate son's birthday, (on the 13th) and Mother's Day. We'll go to the Keg and I'll get seafood. Everyone else will have steaks.

• hooked123
    6 years ago

My son and I are going to volunteer at a public park, his school has mandatory volunteering and he waited until the very last minute lol. I actually really enjoy it, so I join him. We always volunteer at this particular park because we know other volunteers and I enjoy it so much.

• Georgysmom
    6 years ago

My son is coming from Pittsburgh and will spend a few days. My "Honey Do" list usually goes to him when he comes. I have a few small things...replacing one of the ceiling lights in the kitchen, putting in a new tract system for the garbage can in the kitchen, cleaning the ceiling fan in family room and one major job.....help me clean out the attic. Sometime in between we will get in some golf. Mostly he's looking forward to Mom's cooking. I know he loves Italian so one night lasagna, one night chicken Marsala and I haven't decided on other meals

• PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

I must be the worst mom ever but I want to do my own thing on Sunday. DH and I are visiting the nature center for hiking and a relaxing picnic.

Our son,his wife and their twins will be with her mom. Our daughter is a mom of three and will be spending her day being catered to by her DH and the boys.

I have no relationship with my toxic mother and I prefer it that way.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

My kid's spouse has expressed an opinion that in their later life, their own kids will treat them in the same manner as they grew up seeing them treating their own parents (us and those on the other side). Hard to disagree with that, it's a variation of saying kids learn from the examples parents set for them with their own conduct.

I hope your kids alternate celebrations by doing them sometimes with in-laws on one side, sometimes on the other, and sometimes by hosting and inviting all concerned. Except for celebrations not recognized, in which case, no one is left out because there's nothing to be left out of.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

PKponder my SIL went away with a group of mothers every year while the men watched the children on Mother's Day weekend. I like being with my kids but never thought what she did meant anything about being a bad mom. To each their own. :)

• Texas_Gem
    6 years ago

When we only had littles at home, pre-school age and younger, I was the primary organizer for family get togethers, including mother's day for my mom (even though I was a mom myself).

Since my kids started school and I am so heavily involved with arranging and orchestrating end of year parties, field trips, graduation, etc, my May's are insane.

My mom lovingly gave me a pass on mother's day stuff this year. She said we can do mother's day some other time when things aren't so hectic.

I can't be upset with my hubby though, for not arranging a perfect mother's day.

His mom's birthday, his birthday, our 3rd child's birthday, plus mother's day, and graduation/end of year activities, etc all fall in May. Plus we have a few friends birthdays.

We have a mutual agreement. He does nothing for me on mother's day and I do nothing for him on his birthday.

So, to give a shorter answer to your question; no, I have no plans for mother's day other than "dear God, please don't hit me with another last minute social gathering/function that I need to prepare for." ;)

I'm just trying to claw my way to June for a slight reprieve.

• wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

So, to give a shorter answer to your question; no, I have no plans for mother's day other than "dear God, please don't hit me with another last minute social gathering/function that I need to prepare for." ;)

Texas Gem you sound exactly like my DD only her children are still pre-school age. You would not know it for all the activities however. Grand daughter's birthday is at the end of the month, preschool class picnic the same week following, and somehow she got herself involved in a preschool graduation ceremony which she doesn't believe in but changed her mind about so is somehow now organizing. DGD is not happy about moving on so she thinks it would be nice to have something for "closure" hence the change of heart. LOL The kids have been to at least one birthday party almost every week for the past month, plus a Cinco de Mayo party, a field trip to the fire station, and several mommy group activities.

We had dinner together the other night without the kids. First few hours away for months. I think the last time she had with another adult only was breakfast with an other mommy a few months back. She took me to dinner but she was so happy to be have an evening for her also.

• caseynfld
    6 years ago

I have no children and my mom died in 1989. Mother's Day has been a non-event for me for a long time.

However, hubby's mother is still living so we are getting together with the family and going to a very nice restaurant downtown on Sunday evening.

• Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

I don't know what we are doing. I'd like to go to the beach, but not sure if this is the weekend for it.

• Debby
    6 years ago

I'm going to Lake Louise tomorrow morning, and by 4 in the afternoon, I shall be in a suite at the Banff Fairmont Hotsprings Hotel!!!!!! YAY!!!!!! Just one night. I told my husband we will check in at 4 and we are not leaving the building until noon Sunday. It's soooooooooooooooooooooo expensive so I will get our moneys worth. ;) Actually, it's a gift from my son and his girlfriend for, as he says, "Christmas, birthday, Mothers Day and Fathers Day." :) THAT expensive....

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Most of my children's spouses no longer have parents. I only have one daughter that does and his Mother is always included. Sometimes she comes, other times she does not. She never has any kind of meal or anything for the holidays. Yes, I remember the times we would go to both parents for Mother's Day, Father's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving. Christmas we always went to his parents or his side of the family and Christmas Eve to mine. We had little children too part of the time. Those were fun times though. Enjoy your time whatever you do.

Sue

• Texas_Gem
    6 years ago

Watchmelol- are you sure your daughter and I aren't the same person??

I am in charge and organizing the kindergarten graduation that I think is, quite frankly, just silly. But, someone needed to be in charge and start organizing and mobilising everyone and I am the most experienced "room mom" out of all the kindergarten parents so, it's me!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

Happy Mother's Day to everyone!

I'm hosting, but it's pot luck. I'm making Sue's Roadhouse ribs, potato salad, and dessert. Sister is bringing beans, bar-b-q for sandwiches, and the drinks. I think she said gingerale and raspberry lemonade. Mom is bringing fruit and veggie. And my oldest brother is coming.

I wish I could've painted my house more and weeded the garden. I planned to do it tomorrow, thinking that the graduation at which my son has to play pomp and circumstance would be in the evening. Wrong. My whole day is shot. Have to drive to Nashville and wait around or drive back, only to turn around a couple of hours later to get him. Sigh.

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    6 years ago

My sister & I are taking my Mom out to her favorite restaurant. My DD is working so I am not sure when we will get together. Maybe tomorrow.

• norsetex
    6 years ago

As long as I get some strawberry shortcake I'm happy. Going to my oldest's for dinner. They asked what I want and all I could think of was asparagus or brussel sprouts. Need to think of an entree . I'm just happy I'm not the cook .

It's been wonderful my youingest daughter has been cooking since I started chemo and trying new things.

Seniorgal, the drive sounds wonderful . Growing ue we did Sunday drives with all of us piled in the car . Drives through North Jersey with fall colors and stopping for apples or ice cream. Some nice music on the radio ... have a wonderful ride today .

Whether it's time to yourself or spending with family , I hope all of you enjoy Mother''s Day !

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Both of our mothers have passed and I have no children of my own. But we do honor our dear daughter in law that is married to my husband's son, and is a great mom to our 5 grandchildren. Unfortunately we have many miles between us.

Today my neighbor, who has no children or family, will be here along with her husband. My husband has a stuffed pork loin on the grill and I have a big pan of veggies to grill and corn on the cob. She made dessert but it's a surprise. I picked up a small package of chocolate dipped strawberries for us to share. It is a beautiful day so we will be able to sit on the patio.

• lucillle
    6 years ago

Kids and grand came over, I bbqed and we had fixings, the little almost 2 grand is not shy at all about food, chomping a drumstick, so cute.

Her parents are wonderful teachers and role models, it was heart warming to see her pet the new puppy ever so gently and carefully. She loves animals. She brought with her the stuffed puppy I gave her at Easter, and her Dad was saying to her that some day she would have a pup of her own.

I love my new diet, I can eat bbq on my 'feed' days, I even had a nibble of apple pie. A wonderful day.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

Today was weird. Son asked this morning if we could get together so I shelved my plans and said 'Of course' and we made plans for the afternoon. Then it changed to he, DIL and the twins coming here after 4. Again, I rolled with it and said that I would make dinner. Then a couple of hours before they were to arrive, he told me that my DIL went out for the evening with her mom and took the granddaughter, leaving son with the grandson. Weird and now we'll get together next week. My day was blown because I kept changing plans.

• Texas_Gem
    6 years ago

PKponder- I'm so sorry. I hate when that kind of thing happens!

Happy Mother's Day!!

• Texas_Gem
    6 years ago

I had a great day!! I got to sleep in and when I woke up, my 5 year old was snuggled up next to me under the covers and she looked at me and said, "happy mother's day mommy".

That alone would have made my day just perfect. I ended up sorting through and cleaning out all my old jewelry and giving a large portion to my daughters. It was fun seeing them wearing the jewelry I treasured so much as a pre-teen/teenager.

Our pool finally got warm enough to swim in for the first time this season so our evening was spent swimming and listening to music.