SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Carpet Rose-desperately need help in grooming

Oakley
6 years ago

Seven years ago I planted 6 Carpet Roses, three on each side of the sidewalk. Great results until we had a bad drought two years in a row and we could only water during the night, immediately followed with two ice storms.

I've been tackling these for a couple of weeks now and made a fine mess of things.

You'll be allowed to say "OMG" when you see them, but in the meantime, this is a "before" picture,but on the other side of the sidewalk.

This picture was taken last summer when they were in bloom. I've since pruned them so they're more uniform. Behind them are Knock-Outs.

Brace yourselves. This is what the other side of the sidewalk looks like once I was able to get in there (want to see my scars?) and get the dead branches out and cut those that hung way over the railroad tie. I filled up two wheelbarrows of branches, just from this one bunch which is three Roses, in front.

Honestly, I have no idea where to cut them now. I want them much shorter so they'll be more of a low growing hedge. The back of the Roses are fine, it's the front that took the brunt of the elements.

Will the long bare stems which are alive, put new leaves on, or should I cut them all the way down? The Roses are full of buds, so they're still okay, I think.

There is a Knock-out in back on the left, a Floribunda in back on the right. None of them are touching each other.

Comments (12)