SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

I've entered into a relationship with someone "inappropriate"

Lisa Adams
7 years ago

I didn't mean for things to get serious so quickly. Actually, I didn't mean for the relationship to get serious at all, just some temporary fun. Now I've fallen in love, really fallen hard.

You see, I'm talking about a rose. Not just any rose, but an actual house eater, Madame Alfred Carriere. It's not that I want her, and don't have the space. It's worse than that. Something always intrigued me about her description, and I ordered her as a band almost 2 years ago. I put her in the only available space, and gave her very little water and zero fertilizer or compost. You see, I ordered her knowing I couldn't keep her. I figured, life is short, this is the last home I will live in, and I will remove her after seeing what she's like. I'm not in the habit of doing that sort of thing, but I wanted to see a MAC in bloom, just once.

I got my wish. MAC has served her intended purpose and is blooming now. I've begun to admire her grace and tenacity. Without support, she leans against the fence and blooms with such class. Yesterday I fell further under her spell when I cut a few for indoors. That stole the rest of my heart. I cannot believe I thought I could discard a rose after I was done "playing with it." Now I understand why she remains a favorite and I see that all her reported excellent qualities are true. I also know the house eater part must be true as well. Yesterday when I cut some stems, I cut those way back. I made her an acceptable size for now. Can I keep this sort of thing up? Is there any way I can keep her there and just keep cutting her back? I just cannot part with her. I do not have a more appropriate spot for her either. "Can I keep her, Mom, please? I'll take real good care of her and you won't have to do anything. Please, Mom?" :)

In the vase alone.

In the vase with Abe Darby and some snaps.

My MAC in her not so good spot. By reputation, I fear she will prevent people from entering the park that flanks my property. Would frequent pruning and training her to the fence be an option here? Or will she resent that and not bloom? Or would she fight to escape at all costs, and get away from me the very next time I'm unable to trim her for a few months? Thanks all. Lisa

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!