SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinamesembs

Sowing Haworthia Seeds - advice please?

Christina Bay Area
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I just bought some seeds and I've never sown haworthia seeds before. I've read extensively on sowing lithops and noticed that the method is nearly the same...
I'm planning to go via take-out box method w/many drainage holes. Or are many holes not necessary when it comes to these seedlings, since you must keep it moist for a long time?

Other questions:
1. What kind of seedling substrate/soil do you all use? I have read instructions that say: purely perlite with some coarse sand on top, another says plain-ole cactus soil w/perlite or pumice sifted and sterilized, and another mix that uses ingredients I don't have. I'm planning to go with the plain-ole c&s soil mix since that is what I have already. How about sand in the mix itself and not just on top?? What size particles?

2. how long to keep the seedlings covered? I have read that you should keep them covered for months... with no spraying? And I've also read instructions to take the cover off when seedlings germinate but spray daily.
My take-out box comes with a lid that has a hole (you can close and open it, how convenient!!)

3. Is there an ideal time to sow haworthia seedlings? The grower warned me that these are fresh seeds and it might be best to store for a month before sowing to maximize germination... How would you store haworthia seedlings? Dry, dark, cool place?

4. Is heat/temperature important when it comes to sowing haworthia seeds? Must I keep them warm? My house is on the cool side. At night, I usually keep the window open for my plants. temps at night go no lower than 50F these days.

5. Fungicide necessary??

6. It also appears that for the first year, I'll have to be prepared for daily spraying of the seedlings....which I'm worried I can forget a day or two. I'm also doing a road trip some time in May....which means I should bring the seedlings along with me?? LOL.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions... sorry!
Please feel free to share your sowing stories or share pictures of your seedlings! :)

Comments (5)