SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melis918

Color advice for sofa/chairs/rug

Melissa Kroger
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I desperaty need to replace the sofa, chairs and rug in my living room. The painting resting on the sofa is new and I need to make it work in that spot. I think It's a little small for the space, but we just bought it in Berlin while visiting our daughter who is studying in Germany. I became fast friends with the artist so I'm already very attached to it. The piano will eventually be lacquered black, the side tables, lamps and coffee table stay. Please excuse the mess on the coffee table- it's a bunch of stuff from our trip that I haven't put away yet. I think the rug needs to be solid, the sofa more streamlined and maybe charcoal... any advice to put me in the right direction will be appreciated!

Looking at the photos makes me really anxious to pull this together.

It all looks like a cluttered mess :(

Comments (37)

• lizzierobin
    7 years ago

I like the couch that justterrilynn posted, pulling in a shade of the color you have in your living room would give it a more cohesive, lively feel. I love your dining room. Very pretty.

• Related Discussions

What color sofa/chairs/rug?

Q

Comments (5)
    I think you should either find a rug you love and the coordinate with that, or a print fabric you love for the sofa or chairs and start there. If you start with upholstery fabric in a print, it may take the direction of the rug more to a neutral. If you find a rug you love, it may be easier to find fabric to coordinate, as there are infinitely more choices. If you like the red chairs and they could work as is, I think red looks stunning with the dining room color and could easily be incorporated in a coordinating area rug. Gorgeous choices so far!!! I love this rug with the turquoise and red.
    ...See More

what color rug would go well with grey couch and red lounge chair

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi there- I would recommend a rug in shades of deep hues of blues, reds, and greys. Neutrals or metallics would also pair well with your bold couches and floors. These would work, in my opinion. Loloi Justina Blakeney Kalliope Collection Rug - Charcoal Lilac Loloi Justina Blakeney Kalliope Collection Rug - Spice Blue Jaipur Rize Rug
    ...See More

Advice on color for sofa bed

Q

Comments (16)
    (love those prints) in terms of colos..if I see the color of the chair correctly on my monitor.. -light gray (slightly cooler shades) -darker gray, also cooler shades(slate?) -black and white..or just white -indigo blue depends on how "energetic" you want the room to feel
    ...See More

Ottoman size, style and color please. the rug is gone-rug advice?

Q

Comments (0)
    I am looking for help in choosing the correct size, color and style ottoman/coffee table. Was thinking upholstered ottoman because we have a toddler. Below is the dimension of couch and photo of room. Any help would be great!!
    ...See More
  • Bunny
    7 years ago

A second vote for the couch JTL posted.

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Love the couch and I suppose it would bring the two rooms together. I like that it's not too turquoise or too teal. Does anyone know who makes it?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

I too love the couch with that fabulous color. I would choose Oriental rugs, one for the living room and the other in the dining room to pull those two areas together. They could be fairly light in color, perhaps a tribal design, with turquoise and red or terra cotta accents.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Hi, the only sofas I could find that are a pleasing non-neon teal-ish are at Anthroplogie. I personally like the "Marine" and Mountain Spring color. It's the closest I could find to the inspiration picture.

Inspiration picture sofa,

Or

There are several other shades and fabrics.

This color is called dragonfly.

Or, leather. This color is mountain spring.

Anyway, I didn't look in many online stores so the exact shade you want may be somewhere else,

Here is a quick mock-up of the velvet Leonelle in Marine. I like this color and sofa because it isn't so trendy looking. To me its timeless in a cool way. The lines are simple so easy to buy chairs for. I like how it goes with the dining room without being matchy matchy.

You didn't say what your budget was so I may be way off here. There are one or two very cheap sofas I came across in a decent shade but they were so inexpensive I worried about the squashy cushion after a year thing. There are also other places to look though.

Disclaimer: You will need to do your own homework as I know little about this stores sofas.

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Justerrlynn! I just ordered the fabric swatches and I'm crossing my fingers that it will work. Funny that the only things I've ever bought for the house from Anthropologie are the two side tables in that room!

Ingrid, those rugs are beautiful. As soon as the sofa is ordered and the chairs are figured out I will start looking for rugs.

• Peppapoodle
    7 years ago

This is going to be gorgeous!! I love that first pic justterrilynn posted- the pillows are wonderful too. You could reupholster your two chairs in that & must have a green tree/plant in white ceramic vessel in the corner to relate to your white garden stool!! Yum!

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

You are welcome Melis! I read a few good things about Vanguard's velvet sofas as well, all very good. They are more $$$$ and have some nice colors. The Harbor velvet is gorgous.

Or, Lee industries has a 100% cotton called Rome Peacock that is close. It's a 25,000 double rub and heavy duty.

I wonder if the Lee Rome Peacock "is" the above. Yep, this could be a Lee sofa in Rome Peacock.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Melis are you there? Doesn't Lee Industries 100% cotton in the Rome Peacock color look about the same as the inspiration picture?

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you! Those are also really beautiful colors, I will check them out. I feel like once I choose the sofa, it will give me the direction to go in for the chairs and rug.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

The beautiful color of that sofa will be the making of your room. It also has wonderful clean lines that won't go out of style. I so hope you decide to get a rug for the dining area also to give it all a wonderful visual flow.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

What a gorgeous space. You needn't feel like it's a "mess" - it already looks better than many "afters" we've seen ;-) Love the painting, too. What a wonderful inspiration piece to work with. It seems nicely sized for the wall.

That sofa makes me want to change my whole color scheme - it is so pretty! And with your dining room colors would look fabulous.

I love the generously sized rug you have now, so hope you'll find another that is close to that size. I actually like that you don't have one in the dining room; I think it leaves some "breathing room" around the dining room furniture and the light reflecting off the floor adds some lightness, even though the floor is dark. I think to put one there, you'd have to have a much smaller one in the living room so they wouldn't look too crowded.

Can't wait to see what you do.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Oly, I feel like changing my whole color scheme as well lol. I love some of those colors above. I will have to be content changing my rug...if I ever find the right one.

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Olychick- I do plan to leave the Dining room without a rug. I don't want to crowd the space or make it too busy. I'm not sure if you could tell in the photo, but the painting on my stairway wall was done by an artist in Olympia as a tribute to the city. We bought it when our son was living there,since DH and I love Oly and could see ourselves living there one day. A bonus for me is that my best friend lives in Elma and my son and his family are in Seattle.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

Melis, that is so cool! That piece caught my eye (thinking that you have really interesting taste in art) but it's dark on my monitor so couldn't really make it out. Who is the artist? Oly is a nice place to live; did your son attend TESC? That's how many people end up here and never leave, or come back when they can.

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Olychick- The artist is Thomas Anderson and that painting was a finalist for a competition of paintings to be hung in the Capitol. I think we bought it about 6 + years ago. Yes, our son and his wife both went to TESC. They had planned on staying in OLY after graduating, but moved to Seattle for their careers/grad school. DH and I fell in love with Olympia, but ended up buying a house in Seattle that the kids are living in for now.

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Those are yummy, yummy sofas. My only concern would be lint and fuzz on dark velvet.

• mabeldingeldine
    7 years ago

I love that Lee sofa, what a yummy color, it just makes me want to sink into it with a good book. I also love the dining room paint color! Will you share the paint color?

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

Love the way this thread is heading, you're going to have an amazing room. I love the art.

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for so many compliments! The paint in the dining room is SW Lagoon. i just received the fabric swatches from Anthropologie. The one on the left is Marine and the one on the right is Teal.

With the new painting:

In the dining room:

With the end tables that have a blue shelf:

The rug will obviously change. Which one do you think is the winner?

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

I don't see enough teal in the art to justify a teal sofa. The painting appears to be very meaningful to you whereas the dining room wall paint can easily be changed down the road if you decide to. Since you're replacing the sofa to go with the art (not the dining room paint color), I don't think teal is the way to go. I'm sure based on the previous posts that many will disagree with me, but it's just my opinion. The marine doesn't look quite right to me either.

• cawaps
    7 years ago

I think the teal has enough blue in it to work with the painting. The Marine runs greener, and doesn't work as well with the painting (looks good with the dining room, but that seems secondary).

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    7 years ago

Check Crate & Barrel for Lee Industries sofas as well; plus they usually have a 15 percent off sale in the autumn. The Gia sofa comes in a teal fabric, and there are others as well, and a variety of teal fabrics (both hues and fabrics).

• lizzierobin
    7 years ago

I like the one on the left, Teal. But, if you did it in the marine, you can pull the teal in through pillows and other accessories.

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oops- in the first two photos the marine is on the right. It's on the left in the last photo.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Which ever the darker one is and I think its the Marine below. To me it would look better if it goes with the dining room without matching the dining room like the other sample. However, I would also get a sample of the Lee cotton Rome Peacock that I posted above before deciding. But... I do love the darker sample you posted very much. Here it is.

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

I'd go with a medium to darker gray sofa and bring in color with a rug and accessories. Its neutral and would 'go' with any changs you make in the future. I don't think I'd ever get an expensive sofa to match an art piece above it.

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

I agree with Justerlynn, the darker is perfect and it does work with the art. I would never tire of walking in to that room with the sumptuous color and texture.

• Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

I Love the lighter one!

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I definitely prefer the darker one (marine). It seems to go with both the painting and the dining room walls without matching. I did order a charcoal gray swatch but it is backordered. My concern with choosing gray is that my family room has a gray sofa and loveseat and dark gray fireplace, and my kitchen is white, black and gray. While the artwork brings in much needed color, I like having a bit of unexpected color in one piece of furniture. I'm hoping the marine is dark enough that it doesn't look too whimsical or even cheesy.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Don't do gray its so common now. Don't be common.

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

Jrl, we disagree on most decorating issues but I have never once bashed your suggestions , I only have expressed mine. You have already bashed my opinions on several different threads. This is not a competition and the posters asking for advice aren't going to purchase anything just because you or I suggest it. Give them a little credit. I also don't consider myself common thank you.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    7 years ago

I'd make sure whatever shade of teal you choose complements (it doesn't need to match) the SW Lagoon in the adjoining dining room. The bottom shelves on the tables aren't in play that much because of their size and the fact that they're horizontal and quite low down.

It does sound like you have enough grey in the house, especially in nearby rooms. And I think a sofa in grey or any other non-complementary tone will keep the space looking more "cluttered" than you want it to. Having the new sofa and wall color in complementary shades will make for a well-considered, purposeful, cohesive look. Not at all cheesy or whimsical.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Sheesh calm down K9 I wasn't even talking to you. Melis has some cool artwork a cool dining room color and already gray walls in the living area. Melis mentioned a gray fabric sample on backorder.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

Swoon...I love that darker one, both for its uniqueness and beauty, but because it doesn't "match" the dining room, while complementing it wonderfully.

• raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    7 years ago

Another vote for the darker one......I think it will look amazing in your already beautiful home!