SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbrad

For those with walkouts, how'd you finish the basement level exterior?

dbrad
7 years ago

We are building a craftsman home with a walkout basement and using both cement board siding & stone on the exterior. The current plan is to use the stone only on a few front elevation locations, and the cement board siding everywhere else.

But I'm beginning to think that I would like to use stone to cover the exposed basement-level exterior walls (a portion of one side and the rear) instead of just continuing the siding all the way down. If I do this I'd also like to add a stone "watertable" of sorts around the perimeter of the home even where there's siding - between the bottom of the siding and the ground.

Cost is of course a concern with stone, but it's not as though cement board + ongoing painting is exactly cheap either. Additionally, we're building on top of a basement where portions of its concrete walls will be exposed and will need to be covered by whatever we choose here, so the upper framing may need to be adjusted outward slightly to line up with the lower basement walls + furring strips (if siding is chosen down there).

So for those of you that made one decision or the other, why?

(this isn't our exact plan but it's close - I'm referring to the area pictured below in stone...)

Comments (17)