SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juudyshouse2012

Daylight/walkout basement - not a sloped lot

juudyshouse2012
16 years ago

We currently live in a beautiful home on 5 acres and our house is situated on top of a large slope. We built a house with one main level and a daylight basement. We are going to be moving and rebuilding. It is very difficult creating and maintaining landscaping and gardens on sloped land! Everywhere you go, you have to have steps or terraces. In the new house we want to have several garden rooms that lead into one another through gates, arbors and pathways.

This time we want to have a level lot. Probably 2 acres (I love gardening)but we still want to have a one level house with a walk out basement. The basement provided us with so much additional space - exercise room, 2 bedrooms, bonus room and SO SO much unfinished storage! I know we could have a basement, but I want there to be full windows in the rooms. I don't want a dark closed-in basement.

Is it possible to build a house on a level lot and create some kind of daylight/walkout basement without having the house be on a hillside? Can you just excavate the area on the side of the house where the basement will be and have a slope around it, but keep the property level for landscape purposes, like pathways, patios, vegetable garden, etc.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Judy

Comments (17)