SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chad_belinfanti

Decision on Hardwood addition to existing

Chad Beez
7 years ago

So, I didn't realize how big of a dilemma this actually was until my wife pointed out the tone difference between our existing Oak floor and new flooring we were getting ready to purchase.

The house is about 12 years old and the existing Oak strip flooring (2.25") is aged and has turned more yellow. I have 2 rooms (total of about 600sqft) both physically adjacent to the existing hardwood that currently have carpet and we want to replace that with hardwood. In the picture, are samples of Red Oak and White Oak - both natural stain, and there is just a slight tone variation that I'm sure will be more noticeable when the flooring is laid. That new flooring will never match the existing so herein lies my dilemma... deal with the difference or embrace the contrast...

I like the idea of having a darker oak color (more brown than say an ebony) but my wife calls that 'patchwork'. I think it adds a bit of character to the fact that they are in fact separate rooms. Of course that argument fails because the dining room and kitchen are already hardwood. I'm even open to trying wider planks (3.25 up to 5") so if anyone has any advice on other options to consider, I'd be happy to evaluate.

At this time, replacing all of the hardwood is just not financially possible and sanding and re-staining is also outside of our budget constraints. This is the only area that is not hardwood on our entire mainfloor of about 1800sqft. Thanks in advance for any feedback and I'm happy to provide any additional photos requested.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH