SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

'Mme. Alfred Carriere' and 'Etoile de Lyon' as cut flowers

I don't cut roses that often and have poor luck with roses as cut flowers. I grow old kinds that have weak necks and short stems, but I suspect I'm part of the problem. However, these two varieties are good even for me. 'Mme. Alfred Carriere' is excellent. Her stems are long enough for a squatty kind of vase, and though they're thin the flowers don't nod; there are a lot of single blooms; Heaven knows the flower production is abundant; the blooms are beautiful and long lasting, and in an enclosed space the fragrance is penetrating and extremely agreeable. 'Etoile de Lyon' is one of those roses that is opulent without grossness: large, full, but shapely. If kept in a coolish environment, not too brightly lit (I don't know whether any artificial light can qualify as really bright), it lasts for days, keeping its yellow color which can however pass through remarkable transformations. EdL has fragrance, but it's not strong: it's there, though.

Nik mentioned that 'Etoile de Lyon' can be merely a cream color for him. In my garden it's always yellow, however pale, but this may vary considerably according to climate. Our long springs that don't get too hot suit it. Possibly it loses the yellow color in hot weather. My roses shut down then anyway, as hot means dry here and they're not irrigated. The blooms I cut about four days ago have remained a quite bright, decided hue.

Comments (6)