SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fduk_gw

Mme Alfred Carriere - final size in UK?

Hi I have a planting dilemma. This spring I bought a bare root Mme Alfred Carriere, with the intention of growing it up a hefty ash tree. Alas, the ash tree is no more.
She is currently in a 20inch by 20inch plastic pot - I know that is an inadequate permanent home but it was the biggest free pot I had at the time.
She's seemed happy all summer, although has not flowered, which I gather is normal for climbers until they reach the size they want to be? Healthy, albeit infested with rose sawfly - I spent what felt like half the summer squishing little catterpillary things. (I don't spray, generally.)

I checked Peter Beales website and they suggest that the terminal size for Mme Alfred is approx 9.8ft by 11.8ft, but I'm sure I've seen larger specimens, which is what's worrying me.

The only remotely suitable spot for a largish rose I have left is a bare stretch of picket fence. It is however, only just 15ft long by 5ft high and is a prime planting spot which I had earmarked it for fruit bushes and I'm reluctant to give that up.

I suspect if I planted her there, she'd turn into a fence eating monster and start roaming off into next door's garden, or possibly start engulfing the shed, which would be inconvenient.

Does anyone have experience with training and containing this rose and is the space available feasible, or should I gift her to my brother who has a three storey house wall free for her to cover?
And if I do, should I transplant her now, in our autumn, or wait till spring?

Any and all input gratefully received!

Comments (21)