Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Our Canarybird - sad news

9 years ago

It's been awhile since I posted here, but I stay in touch with many CF friends on Facebook and through personal emails and messages.


I am so very sad to have to report that Sharon, known to us as Canarybird, has died. She was a very active member of this forum, although not in awhile. She loved to cook, garden and took gorgeous photos of her home and gardens in Tenerife on the Canary Islands. I am sure there are those here who will remember her.


From what I can tell from her daughters' posts, she suddenly became ill in February and was unconscious since then. Perhaps a stroke? I am not sure. She passed away two days ago. I can hardly believe someone who loved life and lived it so well is gone.


Rest in peace, dear friend.

Comments (57)

  • 9 years ago

    Sharon was more than a good cook. She was very creative, an artist she was.

    Sharon was much more than an artistic photographer. She was an optical scientist. She put together a very detailed document about optics, and lighting.

    Above all she was a great person, always helpful, never nasty, never put down anyone for asking stupid questions.

    And, she was a very proficient Citizens Band radio operator.

    She is my inspiration and role model.


    dcarch


  • 9 years ago

    I am so sorry to hear this. She was a great inspiration. Please pass on our sympathies to her family.

  • Related Discussions

    Yet ANOTHER sad detail in our new build

    Q

    Comments (4)
    mae919 - so sorry to hear about this problem and you should NOT feel bad about asking for the original paln to be completed. You should have signed off on any changes or adjustments. It is YOUR kitchen, the one you will be cooking in and using long after a KD or contractor is gone - don't let someone else's mistake be your compromise. Good luck and hang in there.
    ...See More

    Our Remodeling Blog: Bye Bye Tiny Sad Kitchen

    Q

    Comments (1)
    I usually hang out over in the kitchens forum, but just wanted to say best of luck with your project! We just finished a whole house remodel and I know how exciting/stressful the process can be! The rewards will be well worth it though, once the dust settles! Good luck and keep up the nice blog! Kat :)
    ...See More

    Good News and Sad News

    Q

    Comments (16)
    Joanie-we have tried every avenue we can think of about the neighbor. Unfortunately our County Code is very lax. We are literally one block away from City limits and their Code Enforcement is strict! But the County just doesn't have it written in code, so they have no teeth. I'm considering a run for County Commissioner when I retire so I can get some changes made to that code. But by then we'll probably be annexed into the City!
    ...See More

    New study on monarchs raised in captivity has sad news

    Q

    Comments (7)
    mr1010, I had the same thing happen with my cockatiels. I had one mother who was just letting her babies starve. It was my first clutch of babies, so I didn't recognize what was going on until one baby died. I had to hand-raise the rest of them. Every time she laid eggs, I had to put them into the other female's nest because she somehow just didn't have that nurturing gene. Since butterflies don't nurture their young, I truly believe it has to be something genetic or chemical they pass on that makes them migrate. If the parents have never migrated, they aren't going to pass that on to their offspring. Andy 49, The dilemma was have here is that there are native Florida monarchs, but we don't know which is laying on our plants. I agree to just let nature take its course. I lose more than I have hatch, but other critters have to survive too. I love my lizards and even my wasps, so if I have to sacrifice a few monarchs, so be it.
    ...See More
  • 9 years ago

    Very sad news. I checked her facebook page and found info posted by her daughter. I visit FB only very sporadically, and so I was not up on this news. I will miss her and the thoughtful and beautiful comments she posted here and on FB. I'm sorry I never got to meet her.

  • 9 years ago

    All these remembrances are bringing tears to my eyes. Somewhere in my wild imaginations I always thought I would meet up with her one day. We shared "hair management" problems and giggled about it. It's strange, but wonderful, what strong attachments we forge through these forums. I truly do think of many of you as my real-life friends, and you are. Sorry I don't participate here much but life has been busy and there is little time for cooking.


    Wonder how Wolf is doing? I thought he was the one with health problems. I will ask her daughters and pass along your comments. Hope her kitties and her garden are being cared for, too. Gillian was in Tenerife with her to the end.

  • 9 years ago

    With the relative Facebook news blackout, my worst fears have been realized. I loved all the garden, kitty cat, hiking, culture and restaurant stories she shared and I make a couple of her recipes all the time, among my favorites. Plus, CB was such a gracious, zestful, lovely person. The world just got a little sadder and drearier. :(

  • 9 years ago

    So sad to read this. I remember when she took in the beautiful stray Siamese with the lovely blue eyes. She was such a kind lady. And those gorgeous food photos and pics of the lunches she and Wolfram used to enjoy. She'll be missed.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    This is a sad day. May our sweet and very kind friend Sharon and her husband Wolf be together again.

    Sharon and I always greeted each other with "Abrazos," and it's only proper to do so, once more. Abrazos a ti, mi querida amiga.

    Sol

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Pam, thank you for posting, it was too difficult for me to write. Today is the anniversary of my mother's passing and my father's is on Saturday. Coupled with the announcement of Sharon's passing yesterday, my sadness was overwhelming.

    Sharon's darling Wolf passed away a few years ago. He also had a stroke and she cared for him at home for many months until he passed. She didn't share his passing with many, however we communicated via email, so I was aware of her loss.

    She left the comfort of Canada with her two young daughters to live and work in Spain. If I recall correctly, she studied flamenco guitar and worked in a chic fashion house, both as a model and and in sales. I can't remember the timing or circumstances when she met Wolf or moved to Tenerife. Hopefully one of her daughters will add to this thread and share more details.

    Sharon was someone whom I respected and admired. Her passing has left another hole in my heart.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    What sad news! Her posts added so much to this forum.

    Godspeed Sharon.

    Prayers going out to family and loved ones.

  • 9 years ago

    Awww, condolences to her family. I remember Sharon was posting often when I used to post regularly. She seemed to have lived a rich, full life...with good food and great photography.

  • 9 years ago

    I didn't know Sharon well, like most of you did, but I too valued her greatly, and was just thinking of her while rearranging my "keeper" recipes. Sad news, but such a great life to celebrate.

  • 9 years ago

    Ellen, what a lovely post. I was not sure about Wolf. I'm glad you knew. Yes, they surely had a life well lived. Every new death stirs up feelings of those we have lost.

  • 9 years ago

    Such sad news I always admired her for the courage to take
    her young druthers and move to a foreign country. She was a beautiful photographer
    and had a great knowledge of cooking. What a wonderful life she had my condolences
    to her family she has and will forever be missed.


  • 9 years ago

    Like Ellen, I knew that Wolfram had passed away a couple of years ago, I sent her an email and asked about him and she told me he was bedridden after a stroke and a fall, then he passed away. She told me how she met him. l A family member, I think her brother, was a ham radio operator and had "talked" with him, so he put them in contact because of the interest in radios. He was, I think, a bit older than she was.

    I'm sorry to hear that she is also gone, we've lost several members here in the past few years. I still make her salmon quiche/pie regularly, Elery loves it.

    Annie

  • 9 years ago

    She was always a bright light on this forum. She shared stories, walking tours, beautiful photos, recipes and so much more. I was always amazed at her tiny kitchen. She made things seem effortless.

    RIP Sharon.

  • 9 years ago

    My sincere sympathy to Sharon's family.

    I so enjoyed all her posts, pictures of her lunches, the beautiful pictures of her prepared food and the scenic views of her island. I have saved her photo instructions she posted on the CF, she was one of my first inspiration to food presentation.

  • 9 years ago

    Almost forgot I had this bookmarked. Don't know how much longer it'll be viewable.

    https://canarybird.smugmug.com/People/Cooking-Forum-Folks/i-zwb2CRh

  • 9 years ago

    So sorry to hear. Rest In Peace, Canarybird.

    Madonna

  • 9 years ago

    I'm sorry to see this sad news. Condolences to Sharon's family.

    Thank you for the link Cindy. ..so many faces that made me "wonder what happened to him/her. ....".

  • 9 years ago

    That was fun, Cindy! Lots of familiar faces but also many I didn't know, and people we've not heard from in a dog's age. I had no idea Sharon had put that together.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm so sorry to read this. RIP Canarybird.

    Cindy, thanks so much for the link. How exciting to put names to faces!

  • 9 years ago

    So sad to hear about Canarybird. I remember her very well, she inspired me in many ways.

  • 9 years ago

    Very sad news.

  • 9 years ago

    I, too, was sorry to hear about Canarybird. I remember her well. Her recipes, her lovely pictures, her many adventures eating a different restaurants. Like others, I still have some of her recipes printed out and use them frequently.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Sharon's whole life was an adventure. Many years ago she left her native Vancouver Island to teach classical guitar in Palma de Mallorca. The she lived in Ibiza and finally in Tenerife. She was a really great photographer and gave us many beautiful glimpses of her life. I have missed her presence here, and I'm very sorry she will not be back. I don't visit the forum all the time, the way I used to, and I'm glad I saw this post and everyone's memories of her.

  • 9 years ago

    Woodie's occasionally on Facebook.


  • 9 years ago

    So sorry to hear of Sharon's passing...my condolences to her family. I occasionally make her Coronation Chicken recipe.

  • 9 years ago

    I am so sad. I always enjoyed her posts and her pictures.

  • 9 years ago

    Jeff and I toasting that one in a million gal!

  • 9 years ago

    I am another one who admired her lovely reviews and photos of dinners out. I too was always impressed by the meals she produced from her tiny kitchen. She was so very generous with her recipes and reviews.


  • 9 years ago

    This is so very sad.. Yes, Sharon was an artist in all aspects of her life. A truly beautiful soul. Last I heard from her, Wolf had his stroke and she was caring for him, trying to tempt him with her food offerings. I've missed her very much also. Thank you dear Sharon for all you did and shared with us. Your little corner of the world has lost an amazing advocate.

  • 9 years ago

    oh my what sad news: she will be remembered so dearly.

  • 9 years ago

    Just reading this now. How sad , Sharon was one in a million a true delight. She loved life, she loved Wolf , she loved food, she loved gardening, she loved photography......and she loved her cats !

    I was always so jealous of the lovely restraunts she went to, it seemed daily which made me even more jealous.

    RIP Sharon.......

  • 9 years ago

    Cindy thanks for posting the slide show. I have have so many great memories of times shared here and in the company of so many. So many interesting, fun people...even Roger !!!

    My first dinner guests, Ann T and Moe....ask me how uptight I was ! Our Rte 66 trip when we met 32 of the people in those pics , Martini madness in NYC...perky boobs , so many who have visited us. All fun interesting people who I miss.

    ...and to know Sharon is now gone . So hard to believe


  • 9 years ago

    Sad news for sure. She was a part of the foundation of this forum and her superior contributions and inspirations will be missed.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Cathy, I'm glad to see you here, I think of you whenever I make that fig salad. I'm sorry it takes such a sad thing to bring you back, but I've missed you.

    Annie

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Annie, your thoughts are very appreciated. It's still very hard to cook, grocery shop, and do other daily activities without my HG.

    I well brag and tell you that I have been invited (all my expenses paid) to attend the annual college coaches banquet (in Florida this year) to induct Ray into the College Coaches Hall of Fame.

  • 9 years ago

    Cathy,what a nice tribute to Ray. Meeting both of you was very special to Clive and me ........I'm glad we had a chance to meet him

  • 9 years ago

    Oh Cathy, what a wonderful tribute to your HG. I know it will be a bittersweet time for you. I hope you'll feel the love and admiration that will be displayed for his lifetime achievements. Sending huge Hugs!

  • 9 years ago

    Well..... this is sad news. I had been missing Canarybird for awhile but didn't know why. My condolences to her family.

  • 9 years ago

    Congratulations to you and the late HG on that particular honor, Cathy.

    We've lost so many friends, it seems. Janet, Lee, Brenda, Sharon and Wolf, Ray, Roger.... (sigh) I know there are more that I haven't thought of.

    Annie

  • 9 years ago

    Cathy, what a wonderful tribute to Ray!


    Annie, when did Roger pass?

  • 9 years ago

    Wouldn't it have been nice to have met Sharon in person!?

    Cindy, I think Roger's passing was 4 years ago?? Roger was another good guy. It was so
    good that we could help Sherry pack up her and Roger's house so she
    could move to a smaller place.

    Chase, I was looking at pictures from your visit just yesterday. How wonderful it was to meet you and Clive in person.

    There was another tribute to Ray at his home field and the press interviewed me, good thing they could edit it. If interested click on the link on our home page. TampaMustang

  • 9 years ago

    Cathy, that was beautiful! And if you don't mind me saying ... you're looking pretty damn good!


    I forgot Sherry's husband's name was Roger. I was thinking about "our" Roger from the days of Pete & Roger.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    That WAS very nice, Cathy, and you didn't cry. I'm proud of you. And Lily threw out the first pitch!

    Yes, it was a nice get together there at the lake, helping Sherry pack up the house. I was glad we could all be there. And Roger, well, he was the best chauffeur and always-willing taste tester ever, and such a nice guy too.

    Annie

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you for your comments!

    I apologize for hijacking Sharon/Canarybird's post.


  • 9 years ago

    Cathy, what a beautiful tribute to Ray. You were a superstar!

  • 9 years ago

    Ellen, thank you so much for your comments! He is the real superstar.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I hesitate to pop up an "older" thread, but I want to say she touched my life in very dear ways. I have been missing her for quite some time. Pass along my kind wishes for peace to her family and friends if you can.