SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ylwjacket

Apple Graft Redux - Progress, or lack thereof

ylwjacket
7 years ago

Trying not to get too antsy. Tomorrow is two weeks since I grafted onto the large apple tree out front.

In that time, the tree has leafed out, and has a bunch of blossoms on it.

I did 12 grafts, 4 each of 3 varieties. One of them looks withered and dried out. The others look about like they did when I stuck them on - not dried out, but still sort of dormant. One of them looks like the buds might be breaking out soon. There is a little color at the bud site, and it looks like it's getting a little larger.

Honestly, I'm afraid I've lost track of a few of them. The bees don't seem to like it when I go cramming my big ole head into their workspace to check the grafts, so for at least half of them, I probably won't be able to look in on them too much for a few weeks anyways. The others that are accessible are probably tired of me staring at them.

So - the newbie ants in his pants question: given that the tree is growing like wildfire now, how long you reckon it'll be before I know if these grafts are taking?

I'm hoping they do, so I'll be emboldened to do some more next year. I think next year I'll probably do a few more varieties of apples and of graft types.

Thanks much.

Comment