SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
questor3

My 2011 Apple Tree Problem, in Two Parts.

questor3
12 years ago

~PART 1~

My main fruit tree challenge last growing season came in the form of a bark situation on one of my HoneyGold Apple trees. I am assuming that it was initially South West disease/sunscald. We had a very weird Spring here. Many fluctuating temps for extended periods and a few rather late frosts. Bark was splitting apart first off, and then later on rotting and decomposing in various ways. I'll walk you through with some photo's, and add some commentary along the way as well. Any feedback/comments/advice would be most appreciated. For both myself or the benefit of others who may be interested.

The first sign of trouble that I noticed was this splitting and spreading of the outer bark on several main trunks as seen in the first two photo's below. Close inspection also revealed a dying cambium zone (browning out) along these splits. This is precisely a South West exposure on this particular scaffold branch.

{{gwi:59503}}

My HG trees were at 12 years in their place last year. I hadn't been doing a white paint to them hoping they were somehow immune to to South West syndrome for maturity reasons. I was possibly quite wrong regarding that! My Fireside in the background of the above photo was well prepared. So am now doing it to all my fruit trees to be safe. Including up into some higher branching after seeing what happened this last year. Another shot below of cambium damage.

{{gwi:59504}}

I continued to closely monitor the situation as the Season progressed. I next began to get dying smaller branches up and down along the bark-split mains. I was cutting these out as they appeared, but retaining the scaffolds in case they were to somehow recover.

{{gwi:59505}}

Unfortunately, this was not to be. I was forced to remove several of my main branches and burned those. This next pic below exhibits what the hot and HUMID August weather can do for pathogenic growth processes. This branch is of course now ashes.

{{gwi:59506}}

Whether or not the SW Disease initially setting in first, and then other rot problems taking over later thru the wounds, is the proper diagnosis here I'm not 100% sure. Hoping some of you more experienced growers can give additional opinions and information. I definitely want to learn from this experience one way or the other, and hope that other can too.

While I'm at it, a look at 1/2 of my mixed planting of Plum trees in the foreground (I have to replace one of these this Spring). And then the Apples in the far background, but less visible in this view here. This shot is looking directly North.

{{gwi:59507}}

~PART 2~

So now I need to get some more growth started lower down on this same Apple tree as future scaffold replacement. I have been researching variuous grafting techniques. From what I can tell is that I may want to consider doing either some side grafts or 'stab' grafts as I have seen it referred to as.

My main question regarding this is: should I just keep the graft union shallow right underneath the cambium layer? Or would I get a more able weight bearing union by 'stabbing' some depth into the center wood for a stronger union, by partially inserting the scion? Please advise me in whatever techniques you would recommend. I'm actually looking forward to this first foray of mine into the world of grafting.

Thank you for any feedback, Mike/q-3, In Z-4 Northern Iowa.

Comments (5)