SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Ancestry.com questions and other genealogy stuff

Alisande
7 years ago

I'm going to access Ancestry.com at the library and am wondering how to look up someone's 1891 emigration from Austria to the U.S. I'd like to find out her maiden name. and thought it might be on the passenger list even though she was married at the time. Her husband came to America the year before, and they were married in Austria.

I'd also like to learn the cause of death of someone who died in NYC in 1917. I tried Ancestry at the library once last year and was pretty much clueless.

I'm also curious about what happened to a married couple who appeared in the 1910 and 1920 Censuses but disappeared after that. I know the woman died in 1939, but where were they for those 19 years? I guess it was possible to escape notice in the Census if you didn't answer the door . . . ?

Looking online at these old Census sheets, I'm realizing people won't be able to read them at some point since cursive writing is no longer taught in schools. I think that's such a bad idea, for several reasons.

I was working on this stuff yesterday, and got into a zone. Those of you who enjoy genealogy will relate, I'm sure. I'm not a skilled genealogist by any means, but following a trail can put me in an altered state. For a brief time it's almost like unearthing history--a very personal kind of history. It's also exciting.

Comments (23)