SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Genealogy question

Alisande
7 years ago

I mentioned before about a couple of ancestors who arrived in the U.S. from Austria in 1890 and 1891. I finally snagged a computer at the library and used Ancestry.com to try to find their ships. The husband came in 1890, and his wife and two children, a toddler and a very young infant, a year later. None of the names showed up in my searches.

I suppose this could mean they changed their last name when arriving in America, but is that the most likely reason? That is, is it common for an immigrant's name to not be found this way?

Also, I discovered someone had an ex-wife with the same first name as his second wife (no wonder I was confused!). Newspapers reported the birth of a daughter with the first wife on February 20, 1920, but no first name is given. I was unable to find mention of her after that. They were in Washington, DC in 1920, and by the time the 1930 Census came around he was divorced, remarried, and father of another daughter. I'd like to know what happened to the first daughter, but don't know how to proceed from here without a first name.

Thanks!

Comments (22)