SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maire_cate

Genealogy question- if you were just starting your search ....?

maire_cate
13 years ago

If you were just beginning your genealogy search would ancestry.com be the most logical place to start? Are there any other online tools that you would recommend to a beginner?

I know where my parents were born, I have their original birth and death certificates, their SS numbers, my dad's military records and where they are buried. I know the names of my aunts and uncles and grandparents and the dates of their birth and death and where they are buried.

No one in the family in the last 3 generations recorded anything about their ancestors that I've discovered. I know my Dad's family immigrated from Ireland and my Mom's from France and Wales and my parents thought it was in the 1800's so if I subscribe to Ancestry I's select the World edition.

I've been to several meetings of our local Irish genealogy group but those people are so far ahead of me that it's not as helpful as I had hoped. Once I find my ancestral way back across to Ireland they will be invaluable. One lady found an ancestor by checking the Flax Grower's Tax list in the 1600's.

Several people recommended Ancestry and Family Tree Maker. I just don't want to start searching and entering information on one program only to discover that something is incompatible later and have to start reformatting. Apparently this happened to some of the others and they found it quite frustrating.

I do know that I need to make copies and record the sources of any information that I recover and that there are many errors even on LDS center.

So I'm ready to start - any other words of advice?

Comments (11)