SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mocxr

Larger kitchen or additional full bath

mocxr
7 years ago

I have a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath house with a study that can be used or converted into a 3rd bedroom. My kitchen is small and needs a major remodel (1950s nevamar laminate cabinets with crumbling edge band).

My goals are a more functional kitchen with an opening to the DR like this, 2.5 baths, a better location for the laundry (now directly across from the side door), 3 sleeping areas, and a drop zone/mudroom by back door. It's an older home and I am not trying to make it fully open concept.

I can't live with the kitchen as is but I need to decide on location for the second bathroom before I can do anything to the kitchen as one of the location options for the bathroom is in the breakfast nook.

If this were your house, what would you do? Am I missing another option for the guest bath?

Option 1- Use breakfast nook as part of kitchen, add new full bathroom in master closet, use existing hall bath as guest bath, add built in closets to master

Option 2 - use breakfast nook as part of kitchen, carve 2 full bathrooms out of hall bath closet area

Option 3 - keep kitchen size as is (could close entrance to hall and open new entrance to hall from DR above basement stairs). use breakfast nook as guest bath with or without hall entrance, current hall bath as master. could expand to include powder room

Option 4 - add guest bath and bedrooms upstairs (costliest option as it is an attic and would need to do stairs to code as well as HVAC, windows, etc)

Option 5 - enlarge kitchen and do nothing for guest/hall bath now. In this option I would need to keep a powder room

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations