SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdw72697

Kitchen Addition estimates, "micro additions", surviving Sticker Shock

kdw72697
9 years ago

Hello on the new forum!

I'm an occasional poster, long-time lurker. I will be meeting with 2 different contractors in the next 2 weeks to get estimates on a kitchen addition, and I have 2 issues for which Gardenwebbers might have advice.

1) I was hoping someone could give me even a ROUGH idea of what I might expect in the ridiculously expensive NY metro area. Might the estimate come back for $50,000? $1 billion? I do not know. I am talking about the addition itself (middle-of-the-road roof, siding, windows, electrical, sheetrock) and NOT the kitchen that will be inside it (cabinets, appliances, plumbing, counters, etc..).

The size could be as small as 6 x 10, or as big as 10 x 10. The house is a 1960s colonial on a flat lot with no setback issues. The house's foundation is a full basement, but this addition would likely have some kind of crawlspace or piers. It would have it's own roof, not be married to the existing roof.

Online, I've found estimates of around $100 - $250 per square foot. Is this accurate in your experience?

2) I've also read about "micro-additions" or "bump-outs". Anyone ever do one, and was there a cost benefit? Or is it better to Go Big or Go Home?

Truly, even a bump-out of 6 x 10 would vastly improve the function of this kitchen. And, in theory, it would be cheaper. If I'm doing my math right, 6 x 10 = 60 square feet, and 60 sq ft x say, $250 per sq foot would bring the cost in around $15,000. But that sounds WAY too affordable, especially for my area.

I do not want to pass out from sticker shock, nor do I want to jump on an affordable price if its not a realistic price.

Thanks for any help you might have!

Comments (12)