SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
movinginva_gw

Which would you do, back door or 2nd full bath?

movinginva
9 years ago

We are looking to do some work on our tiny (1080 square feet) rancher, and are looking at two different options since we cannot afford to have everything done all at once. In trying to decide what to do, taking a few things into consideration. One of them is the fact that we probably won't be in the house for more than a few more years so we are of course looking at resale value and the ability to recoup most of what we spent if we were to sell. Here is what we are looking at. I am not willing to give up my attached garage by converting it.

1. Back door through the dining room. - we have a decent sized lot with lots of back yard space and do not have easy access to the back yard. We live in southeast VA, so outdoor space (a deck) makes good sense, since we can sometimes get nice days into November.

2. Convert the smallest bedroom into a master bathroom and walk in closet. We will then put a door on the dining room entrance and turn that into the third bedroom. We will lose the dining room, but now have 2.5 bath. Of course, this is the more expensive option, and we would still need to find a way to have easy access to the backyard.

I truly need some help with this decision. Any thoughts on these potential plans? If you had to choose, which option would you go with? Thoughts, suggestions and questions are welcome. If you think that both options at completely crazy, let me know also.

Thank you all for your help!

Comments (32)