SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamacitanikita

aspiring kitchen designers, help please!

Mamacita Nikita
7 years ago

We are in the process of buying a new house. The current kitchen configuration is below. The island is just too big and blocks the door from the dining room.

It's a 3200 sq ft house that is chopped into a bunch of small rooms. We will spend most of our time in the kitchen and family room. We are mom, dad and four kids (17, 15, 11 and 9). The 17 year old is leaving in the fall and realistically the 15 year old won't leave for awhile. I'm thinking within the next 10 years we may have one of more elderly parents with us, as well. We are very casual and don't entertain besides other kids. We've used the dining room two times in the past year. You guessed it, Christmas and Thanksgiving.

The house currently has a formal living room and small dining room between it and the kitchen. The other side of the kitchen opens to the family room. The dining room is basically too small for us to use. I'd like to get rid of it and incorporate it into the kitchen. We are planning to do most of the work ourselves (we'll be hiring out plumbing/gas/flooring). Probably Ikea since we're DIYers.

I'm all about function. Of course I'd like it to look nice, but a practical kitchen is a necessity. I grudgingly cook every night. We want to reuse the dishwasher, oven and microwave since they are practically new. The cook top is electric and we think there is natural gas to the house just not connected. If so, we we will get a gas cook top-if not we will go induction. I'd prefer to not put that on an island as I don't like hoods hanging down in the middle of the room. The kitchen currently has no exhaust fan.

I'd love a walk in pantry (may not be possible), side by side double oven, and the Frigidaire Professional Series All Refrigerator and All Freezer combo.

Our idea is to remove the dining room wall and put up a new wall between the formal living room and kitchen. Not sure where to place the opening-next to the french doors?

We are thinking the bump out would be a good place for the big dining table and probably turn the island to open up the walkway through the kitchen. Open to any and all ideas!

Comments (9)