SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Brining your own Corned Beef

annie1992
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Yes, of course I did. I always hesitate because it takes 5 days and uses space in the refrigerator, but I had a couple of chunks of brisket in the freezer, one point and one flat, and St. Patrick's Day was coming up.

So, into the brine went salt, brown sugar, bay leaf, pickling spices, water. Into the brine went the beef and it went into the refrigerator. After 5 days it was ready to be rinsed, sprinkled with the remaining spice mixture and cooked. I usually use the slow cooker, but I was in kind of a hurry, as Ashley was coming over with the girls and we wanted the corned beef by lunch. So, I wrapped it in foil and put it on a sheet pan. It was tender and juicy and salty and spicy, just like corned beef should be.

It didn't fall apart, but made nice slices. Madison had never had corned beef before and she loved it and ate several slices, leaving her beloved mac and cheese on the plate.

After lunch she made a leprechaun trap, baited with "gold bars", when the leprechaun takes the bait the lid will slam down and he'll be captured. It's perfect! Ah, too bad it didn't work. (grin)

Being unsuccessful at catching that pesky resident leprechaun who keeps making a mess with green shamrock glitter, she decided to make leprechaun bait out of marshmallows and Lucky Charms cereal, kind of like rice krispie treats, but green. Meanwhile her sister took a nap, leaving the leprechaun hunt to Madison.

Ah well, we never did catch that leprechaun, but there's always next year. Meanwhile, Elery and I had eggs and corned beef hash for breakfast, nearly as good as a leprechaun's treasure!

I think I like the hash even better than I like the original corned beef and cabbage dinner, so I'm a happy girl today!

Annie

Comments (12)