SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxdread666__

Advice on pruning young apple, pear and medlar trees

maxdread666 .
7 years ago

Hi all

I am new to fruit trees, having bought some last year. Now is the time to prune and I have been reading loads about the subject but am still unsure as to what would be best.... For these three trees I don't know whether they would be best suited to an open vase shape or central leader. They were bought last year as "2-year bush" trees; suggesting they were pruned to be open vase at the nursery. The nursery said that they could be trained to either form, but when I spoke to another nursery about them I was told it would be best to stick to the original form (open vase) and not to change it at this stage of development. However, each tree has a very central branch and not too many at a good angle to form an open vase. So I really don't know. Perhaps I should go for modified central leader...? I'm very confused and would be great to hear what people on the forum would suggest. Other pruning advice would also be most welcome. Here's some details and a pic of each.

Rosemary Russet Apple Tree. M26 rootstock. 3 years old.

Discovery Apple Tree. M26 rootstock. 3 years old.

Packham's Triumph Pear Tree. Quince A rootstock. 3 years old.

Aside form those trees, I have an Obelisk Pear Tree (columnar/pyramidal) and a Dwarf Medlar Westerveldt. I've been told that for both of these trees no pruning is ever required except for general shaping and the removal of the "3 Ds". Would people agree with that? Again. here's pics and details:

Obelisk Pear Tree. Quince A rootstock. 3 years old.

Dwarf Medlar Westerveldt. It's either 3 or 5 years old - not sure which!

Huge thanks to anyone who can help.

Kind regards

Max

Comments (7)