SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
housequester

Help with neutral paint--long post

housequester
7 years ago

My dining room furniture has decided to boss me around and has dictated many of my choices on our new build as it is a fairly open design. The maple furniture will stay; we do like it, even if it's a little more orange than I would like if I had to do it all over again. Plus, it was nearly impossible to find a china cabinet that wasn't country (and cutesy) oak in our area, and the table (not shown) is custom made with 13 leaves and seats 20. Not something we want to replace.

So, we ended up going with dark cherry cabinets in the kitchen to blend and we have the LVP shown there in most of the common areas. It works the best with both the kitchen cabinets and the dining room furniture. We will have all white trim. My husband insists on carpet in the living room. One possibility is shown here but we haven't totally decided yet. The stone will be on our fireplace. We had other stone chosen but it is too gray.

So here's my issue: all along I have wanted gray paint. I dropped into the Sherwin Williams store the other day and looked at paint there with the woman who came to help me and she convinced me that the color I wanted, Mindful Gray, is too gray. It just kind of looks grimy with all these brown/orange tones. I'm sad, and a little ticked off as well. I wanted that gray! The colors I'm now looking at are Anew Gray and Mega Greige, but I'm really not excited about them. They look good with the other colors in the house but they just look tan to me, too much like what I have in my current house. I intend to put Smoky Blue in my dining room, which basically has only two walls (one of which will have the china cabinet and one has French doors). I'm also considering putting it in my kitchen, where it will be only at the top 12" or so where my cabinets don't go all the way to the ceiling (Just too much money and wood to go all the way up 9'). The backsplash will be a creamy subway, not yet chosen.

I'm wondering if I can get away with a neutral dusty blue in a lighter color for my common areas or do I need to stick with the greige? If blue would work, any suggestions? We haven't chosen living room furniture yet and plan to wait until we've moved in to do that. Our current furniture is quite neutral and we'll have that for a little while.

I'm not sure if this is an answerable question--just throwing it out there. I'll post in paint as well in case the paint experts don't look at the decorating forum.

Thanks!

Comments (22)