SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Green as a neutral - Please help with paint!

funkyart
11 years ago

I am going to try this again-- I posted yesterday but received only one response. I suspect my stressed out ramble scared people away. :(

My painter is coming next weekend. Thankfully, a few things happened to postpone the plan to paint THIS weekend. While I am narrowing in on colors, I am in no way set and confident in my selection. This group has such a great sense of color, I'd really appreciate feedback and suggestions.

I started out looking for cool neutrals with a blue or green undertone-- none of them worked in this space because of the strong orange tone of the hardwood. The other two factors that are very much affecting the space are the yellow-gray brick of the fireplace and the very bright light coming from the east in the morning and the west in the afternoon. I intend to use the same color throughout the main living area since it's a small house and all connected. This includes the living room, dining area, kitchen (with the exception of one accent wall) and hallway to beds/baths.

After trying over 12 color samples that all fell flat, I finally found one that I *love*.. BM Elemental is an affinity color and even in the satin sample it just came alive on the walls. I know it will have even more life in the aura matte. It's a yellow green that I find so very easy to look at.. soft, relaxing and I think a good backdrop for the colors I use. Why am I hesitating? I fear it's going to be too dark for a small space-- the last thing I want as I prepare to move to a much smaller house is for the walls to feel like they are closing in on me. Am I being irrationally paint phobic? Will the liveliness of the affinity colors keep it from closing in and feeling like a prison cell?

I did see some blog photos of another color, SW Lemongrass that also seems to be in the same color range (though I know it is dangerous to make these calls based on a photo on the internet). It seems to be similar but a little brighter with more yellow. Has anyone used this color from the Coastal Cool line?

One of the other issues I've run into with the BM Elemental is that it just doesn't work so well with the SW Oyster Bay that I'd planned for the accent wall in the kitchen. The colors should work together but the OB just didnt stand up to the Elemental as you'd want an accent to do. I will likely choose another Affinity color for the accent wall.

I think one of the things I hope will help is that over the next few months (after I move), I intend to add trim to the doorways and windows. This 1960s era house has very little trim. I always think clean, white trim helps brighten up a space. I *may* end up painting the fireplace but for now I want to try to make the brick work.

So what do you think? Am I worried about the BM Elemental unnecessarily? Should I keep working to find a lighter color that evokes the same "ahhhhh" reaction?

Here's a view of the living room

Comments (23)