SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelix_anakasian

Trying to Restore my Florida Lawn; Help!

Shelix Anakasian
7 years ago

Hey folks! I signed up because I'm getting desperate. I bought some property in north/central Florida between Gainesville and Jacksonville, have moved in, fenced in a portion of the backyard for my two miniature schnauzers, but it's mostly dust.

That's the state of my lawn. It was mostly sandspurs when I got it, and I used a garden weasel thingy to try digging some of them out, but digging them all out would leave even more mostly dirt.

Since I had weeds growing I mowed it - since I had to spend two hours last night torturing one of my miniature schnauzers with a comb to get beggarweed and other sticky things out of his paws...

And here's a couple of pictures of the mowing:

Yes...I'm literally mowing up dust. I can't even call it dirt or sand because things grow in dirt, and sand has grains instead of this awful powder.

So here's what I've done so far and what I was planning on doing next:

1. I dug up the worst of the sandspurs with a garden weasel.

2. I've been mowing it with a bag attachment so that the sandspurs don't get to mulch and germinate.

2. I mixed Atrazine and water and sprayed the backyard as a preparatory effort (this past weekend).

3. In six weeks, I plan on putting down Pensacola Bahiagrass seed mixed with GreenEdge lawn fertilizer (at the recommendation of my lawn and garden guy at my local garden store.

He recommended Bahiagrass because I don't have an irrigation / sprinkler system where I want to do this, so I'll be relying on hose and sprayer, or attaching a sprinkler nozzle to the end of my hose to lay on the lawn by portion.

My concerns:

1. My lawn is still dust. If not even weeds will grow in these big patches of dust, why would bahiagrass?

2. Mowing up dirt and dust is going to destroy my lawnmower blades pretty darn fast.

That's my situation. I have 5 acres, and there's not a whole lot of grass on any of it, but there's a lot of sandspurs. The rest of my property can wait for a template to follow from this experiment, but I need this patch of ground to be grass so that my dogs have a backyard. We moved from Texas where my lawn started life as sodded St. Augustine, and they've always had a plush carpet of grass to run around on. Now...they don't run much for fear of stepping on sandspurs, at which point they limp over for me to remove them, and stare at my mournfully.

Any advice welcome! Much, much welcome.

Respectfully,

Homeowner in Florida

Comments (4)