SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brent_villalobos

What order do I restore my lawn?

Brent Villalobos
9 years ago

I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. Over the last few years I haven't given my lawn the TLC it needs. I've watered and mowed it, but not a lot of else. And even the watering has been rather spotty as my system didn't have very good coverage. That has been addressed by installing rotator sprinkler heads that now cover more area.

But the damage has been done. Between gophers turning up dirt and some areas dying from a lack of water (CA is in a drought you know), grass turned to dirt patches which were then filled in by weeds. I don't think my lawn is a lost cause as much of it is still in good shape (at least visibly), but even the "good" areas probably need more attention than just watering and mowing.

There are some many things that have been suggested to improve the health of the lawn:

• aerate
  • dethatch
  • fertilize
  • weed killer/controller
  • reseed bare spots
  • gopher repellent

My question is whether there is a correct order to do this in. I don't want to lay down something that will make something else less effective. For example, will putting down weed killer make reseeding the bare spots harder? Or will aerating the lawn be pointless if I haven't fertilized? I'm looking for a game plan that I can put into place this spring to start rejuvenating my lawn. I don't know the chemistry and biology of lawn care so I'm looking for a little direction.

Comments (3)