SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janey_alabama

Do you like hot dogs?

janey_alabama
7 years ago

I do not care if I never have another hot dog. I guess because I ate them a lot as a child & fed them to our children when they were small. I just cringe when my husband says "let's have hot dogs." I always suggest something else. But at least 2 or 3 times a year we end up eating hot dogs. So how about you?

Comments (63)

• dances_in_garden
    7 years ago

I like them, but I am picky about them. Our faves used to be Red Hots, but they changed to a different processing plant and now they are gross. Almost taste like rancid fat. I like the flavour of Nathan's but that skin snap makes me gag.

Used to be able to even eat cold hotdogs, right from the package! The best ones taste like good bologna (baloney).

Dances.

janey_alabama thanked dances_in_garden
  • gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

We moved on to using Evergood Louisiana Hot Sausage links (La-Dogs in our household) in place of hot dogs, and now the plain hot dogs of any brand taste way too bland. Barbequed, with some good darkening of the skin, is just right. Not really healthy eats though.

janey_alabama thanked gyr_falcon
  • Related Discussions

hot dog+hot son = dumped plumie

Q

Comments (5)
    Here is a suggestion. Remove all the mix from the pot and mix it up. Put a layer of this mix in the bottom of the pot so that it is about four and a half inches from where you want the top of the soil to be. Place a plastic 24 ounce water bottle in the center standing straight up and fill around the bottle with more mix. Pour in water with B-1 and or superthrive so it floods the pot and twist the bottle and slowly remove. Now put an inch of new, clean soil or perlite in the bottom of the hole and wet this carefully with your water mix. Wet your cutting and dip in rootone with fungacide up about four inches. Place the cutting in the center of the hole with the bottom on the moist perlite or mix and fill the hole with dry, new soil mix. Do not water. The moisture will come up from the bottom to encourage rooting but the stem will be drier and less likely to rot. I use this method for reds, hard to root or expensive cuttings and have a very high success rate over hundreds of starts. I have pictures but my main computer is down so they are not on my laptop. if you want pics, ask and i will be back up next week. Bill
    ...See More

How do you cope with hot weather and hot flashes

Q

Comments (6)
    The only thing I have found so far is to soak my hair and head down with the garden hose. I have long hair so the back of my t shirt stays wet. I have MS as well and heat makes me weak as a kitten. There are times that I have all I can do to get back into the house. I found some cooling products through the MS Society that I think might help in both counts. I am looking at the neck wraps that go down your spine a bit and the wrist wraps. I found at night that if I keep a gel pack on a towel on my bed that it helps just to put my hand and wrist on it. Also a wet face cloth. So who knows may be it would help outside too. Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/chapters/OKE/programs--services/DirectAssistance/cooling-product-information-and-assistance/index.aspx
    ...See More

Do dogs like ANY brand of peanut butter?

Q

Comments (4)
    Stick with creamy, not chunky. Some of the 'natural' kinds have a lot of oil at the top of the jar.I volunteer at a rescue & we stuff Kongs with pb, then freeze them & give them to the dogs for their afternoon snack. All that oil makes the pb just slide out of the Kongs and it really makes a mess. We get a lot of the natural kind & we just can't use it.
    ...See More

Do You Like Fried Potatoes and How do You Like Them

Q

Comments (33)
    My husband makes the best french fries. He cuts the russet potatoes in rounds....doesn't peel them. Then he cuts them in sticks, so they are about the size and thickness of my little finger. He has a pot of oil, and he dumps them all in at once...which tends to cool the oil a bit, but when the oil reheats and they finish frying, it is like they have been fried twice, which is the real way to make french fries. You fry them, drain them, and then fry them again. They are lightly crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. I used to always cut my french fries length ways, but after seeing how he does it, I changed to his way. His still taste better than mine. I am another one who loves an electric skillet. I don't think I have ever fried potatoes in one, but I like frying chicken it better than I do using cast iron. And I have over 100 pieces of cast iron cookware. Or, did have. I have given a lot of it away.
    ...See More
  • nicole___
    7 years ago

I used to buy them from the street vendors in downtown Denver....YUM!

janey_alabama thanked nicole___
  • glenda_al
    7 years ago

My favorite way to eat hot dogs is split down the middle, add sliced cheddar and mustard, wrap with bacon. Bake in oven until bacon is crisp. Haven't had that in years, but so enjoyed them.

janey_alabama thanked glenda_al
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

We don't eat hotdogs or bologna at home, but I'm not above having a hotdog at a cookout once in a while. If we were having a cookout, I'd serve them because that's what people expect.

When the kids were young we had them more often--at school events, scout events, and once in a while at home, because my late husband liked them.

We don't eat Spam, either, but I love to smell it cooking--it reminds me of my grandfather, who loved it, and who would get up early to fry it for breakfast.

janey_alabama thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • chisue
    7 years ago

Once in a great while, in summer, I buy buns and the big all-beef dogs that come four to a package. (Brand escapes me.) I could live without ever having one, but DH likes them. He uses only that bland yellow mustard. I disguise mine with pickle relish and spicy brown (deli) mustard.

janey_alabama thanked chisue
  • gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

Glenda, we used to eat something similar when I was a kid--split hot dog with a thin slice of pickle inserted, wrapped in bacon. After the bacon was crispy, we melted cheese on top. So good. The sodium level was horrendous, but that was before the horror warnings. lol The recipe was found printed on the inside of a matchbook cover.

• lucillle
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Love chili dogs, and hot dogs w/ mustard and sauerkraut

janey_alabama thanked lucillle
  • nicole___
    7 years ago

Glenda....yes! DH loves those! Thanks for the reminder.

I'l plan those for a future menu.

janey_alabama thanked nicole___
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

My husband loves them so I fix them various ways occasionally. His favorite are chili dogs with lots of chili, cheese and onions. I will eat them but I am not that fond of them. I don't boil them any more. If I am having chili with them I cook the dogs in the chili which infuses the flavors into the dog. I will pan fry, oven roast, or cook in the toaster oven to get them crispy. Also like them on the grill best. We both like Brats. I never boil them either. I like both with sauted onions and cheese. The bacon wrapped ones Glenda described, my mother used to make those years ago, nice memory. They were for special occasions like pic nicks.

janey_alabama thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

I love a good hot dog or brat. My favorite style is with a bit of mustard topped with a creamy cole slaw.....I'll enjoy anything but sauerkraut, though. I like Nathan's skinless dogs the best of any I've tried.

janey_alabama thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Ugh! I don't eat much of any processed meat (except I guess technically bacon is a processed meat and I do love bacon on occasion). DH, on the other hand, loves hot dogs, sausage and all that stuff. Now and then I haven't had a choice and will eat a hot dog if it is grilled, almost charred, with a little mustard and a whole lot of relish. Yes, Nathan's is about the best according to DH.

janey_alabama thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    7 years ago

Nope, I've never liked them. Good quality sausage (I'm talkin' made at the restaurant of top quality ingredients,) is another story but no to hotdogs. If DH wants them he has to have them out since I won't buy them.

janey_alabama thanked User
  • ont_gal
    7 years ago

good quality ones,yes...with mustard,only

janey_alabama thanked ont_gal
  • marilyn_c
    7 years ago

I'm not crazy about them, but when I buy them for us, I buy HEB brand brisket hot dogs. They are good, but expensive. I think there are six (maybe 5...I am going to get some today...so will find out then) in a package and cost almost $5. Jody likes them. When I eat one, I want chili, cheese and onions on it. I buy cheaper brands as a treat for my dogs. I've heard they aren't good for dogs, but they only get about 1/4 each.

janey_alabama thanked marilyn_c
  • lisaw2015 (ME)
    7 years ago

Very rarely, only a steamed true Maine red snapper, with a steamed roll, lots of onions, a touch of mustard & relish. I mean, maybe twice a year. Hubby likes them alot but I try to convince him he needs something else most of the time, lol!

janey_alabama thanked lisaw2015 (ME)
  • Michael
    7 years ago

Yes we do. Not often, but when we do it's Nathan's.

We prepare them two ways.

Outdoor grill, evenly browned or my favorite three step method.

Simmer in boiling water about 3 minutes. Empty water, add butter to fry pan, cover and brown evenly; just before done add some hot sauce to coat them.

When on the bun, add stadium mustard, diced sweet onions, diced tomatoes, salt & pepper.

janey_alabama thanked Michael
  • wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

Yes but they have to be good beef hot dogs. I will occasionally eat a Casper's dog. They do have pork in them but it's mild. I will spit out a poultry dog. They should be outlawed IMO. LOL

I love chili dogs with cheese, onions and tomatoes.

I like a grilled,charred or fried in butter hot dog topped with mustard, spicy sweet relish, tomatoes, onions and sometimes cheddar cheese.

A dog in a buttery grilled New England split top bun I can eat plain.

I never put ketchup on a hot dog but I do eat them with ketchup if they are plain on a plate. Odd.

I buy Hoffman's, Bar S or Saag's. I am probably the only person who doesn't like Nathan's. Too "dry" and grainy. Prefer a well toasted bun, will eat a steamed bun but never a cold one. Ick.

There are also late night Mexican Street dogs to be found in various parts of town.

janey_alabama thanked wildchild2x2
  • lisaw2015 (ME)
    7 years ago

Absolutely cannot stand the smell of them frying in butter & onions, and if those onions start to blacken, I nearly barf!

janey_alabama thanked lisaw2015 (ME)
  • User
    7 years ago

I love hot dogs, but we don't have them often.

Adore them burnt on the grill.

Costco has the BEST deal- a dog (with kraut, thank you!) and drink for under $3, and their dogs are really good.

If I made a box of Kraft Mac and Cheese and tossed in chopped hot dogs (browned up a bit), DH would be in heaven.

Well, there's have to be ketchup too...

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Having grown up in Brooklyn, my favorite thing was a Nathan's hot dog and their french fries.

Now, I don't want all the nitrates so we buy Applewood Farms nitrate free hotdogs.

I like to grill them, but DH likes them boiled, so I concur and boil them for both of us. I buy the Sabret onions and we also like sauerkraut.

janey_alabama thanked eld6161
  • gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

Had to look up Sabrett onions...never heard of them. Sauced in a jar.

• pekemom
    7 years ago

I buy the Nathan's long hot dogs...my husband's likes hot dogs more than I do, I'll have one once in a while with Gulden's mustard...my husband likes lots of yellow mustard and onions...he just had two for lunch.

janey_alabama thanked pekemom
  • gardenerlorisc_ia
    7 years ago

Cynic: You mentioned Ambassador hot dogs. They did change a while back and they are nowhere near as good as they used to be. I went online and complained about the change and they sent me a coupon for $7.00 off another package of them. Bought only them since the mid '70's and would sure like to see them go back to what they were.

Why do these companies feel the need to change what was working for them? It usually goes the other way.

janey_alabama thanked gardenerlorisc_ia
  • kentrees12
    7 years ago

Hot dogs, baked beans, and fries was a regular weekly meal as a kid, and I enjoy it to this day.

Back then, my dad got 'square' rolls, and my mom buttered and pan toasted them. Can't seem to find them anymore.

Although I grew up an hour and a half from NYC, I had to go to FL to eat my first Nathan's, snappy skin and all. The benchmark for me.

Early in my working career I worked with a guy that started out in a meat packing plant, his job was hot dogs. The dogs ran three shifts, Mon-Fri. On the weekends maintenance cleaned the machinery. First thing Mon AM he started the machinery and the rats ran for their lives, some didn't make it...

janey_alabama thanked kentrees12
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

The only time they ever taste good to me is at the ball park. Can't stand them otherwise!

janey_alabama thanked Anglophilia
  • kittywhiskers
    7 years ago

I live in northern New York and love a local brand called Glazier's Hot dogs. I love them pan fried with cooked onions.

janey_alabama thanked kittywhiskers
  • User
    7 years ago

I like Nathan's beef dogs. I had one they were selling at a yard sale, I was sold and that's all I buy now. I might have them 1-3 times a month.

• phoggie
    7 years ago

Nothing like a good hot dog cooked over a camp fire! But I do not eat them very often now, but enjoy one of the Nathan's hot dogs when I go to Sam's Club from time to time.

janey_alabama thanked phoggie
  • glenda_al
    7 years ago

Corn dogs, YES! with mustard

janey_alabama thanked glenda_al
  • Janie
    7 years ago

Yes, yes, yes I eat and love hot dogs. Used to buy them at a local polish style butcher/deli that made their own and they were great, but now I'm gone from that area and have no idea what to buy so I'm leaning towards Nathan's per the above comments, especially the snappy skin. I'll be buying a package tomorrow since you all have given me a big craving. I like mine with just mustard but I also like Michigan sauce (fine grind hamburger with sweet/sour sauce) or chili cheese dogs too. (Trying not to pay attention to the last line from kentrees :)

janey_alabama thanked Janie
  • artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I figure there are way too many floor scrapings in hot dogs to ever care if I eat one again. So many better other foods that also taste better.

When I was young I liked them, even through my 20's. In grad school, I wondered if I should create a cookbook: Hot Dogs and Noodles: 101 Recipes. You know, for the student budget.... so I think I have eaten my lifetime share of them and can Just Say No for the future.

PS: some things I did like when I ate them:

Slice them down the center longitudinally, but not all the way through. Bake in oven with thin strips of cheese and minced onion in the hot dog gap.

Chop into thin diameters and stir fry with whatever cheap veggies and onions are to hand, with a little Worchestershire sauce and garlic.

Just plain boil or bake up, and eat with Dijon or other spicy mustard. Bun optional.

Cook up those noodles (they didn't call it pasta back then) and add half-inch segments of hot dogs to the noodles while cooking. Serve, add butter and ground parmesean, and eat.

Chili dogs were good, especially with loads of cheddar, but I'm unclear as to whether I actually cooked them myself that way.

At any rate, I don't eat them any more. Not if there are other options.

janey_alabama thanked artemis_ma
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

Artemis, talk about floor scrapings! In NYC the hot dog carts are know as dirty water hot dogs. I used to eat them all the time! When I was in college, there was always a cart outside and I would grab one or two for lunch.

janey_alabama thanked eld6161
  • ldstarr
    7 years ago

Yes, but only occasionally and it absolutely must be a Smith's Natural Casing. I don't do any other brand.....ever. Hated all hot dogs as a child.

janey_alabama thanked ldstarr
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Now I love a good state fair corn dog! I mix equal amounts of yellow mustard and kraft Mayo to dip it in or slather on it. Every rare once in a while I will buy a package of frozen state Fair corn dogs and cook it in the oven till golden brown and busting open. Not nearly as good as the ones deep fried at the fair but it suffices to end the crave lol.

janey_alabama thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • always1stepbehind
    7 years ago

yes...every now and then a hot dog sounds good, especially on a grill. I prefer Hebrew National. Mustard, ketchup, relish and onions or a chili dog!!

janey_alabama thanked always1stepbehind
  • sprtphntc7a
    7 years ago

Yup!! nitrate free, usually Applegate brand or whatever i can find nitrate free...

janey_alabama thanked sprtphntc7a
  • Rudebekia
    7 years ago

Yes! I especially love brats. Both are standard grill items in the summer.

janey_alabama thanked Rudebekia
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    7 years ago

Oh, yes, I do like hot dogs; my favorite brand was Kahn's when I was a child but that is not available where I live now and I don't have a favorite. I rarely ever get them because of the fat and salt and processing, but I do think they are tasty -- I eat them with mustard, catsup and dill pickle relish. I used to like bologna also, grew up with it, but never ever buy or eat it now.

Morningstar Farms used to make a very tasty faux corn dog -- my dd loved them (so did I, but I bought them for her); I haven't seen them in the store for quite some time.

janey_alabama thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

Yes, but only if I make them. I boil them first because I have no idea what kind of guts are in them and want to make sure everything is well cooked. Then I barbecue them and I can only eat them if there are sliced dill pickles to go in them - other wise I 'm not interested.

janey_alabama thanked blfenton
  • nickel_kg
    7 years ago

I ate alot of cheap hot dogs as a kid. Now, I still like the taste, but avoid them for health reasons. Special occasion only!

janey_alabama thanked nickel_kg
  • DawnInCal
    7 years ago

Love hotdogs! Nathan's all beef either grilled on the bbq or fried in a cast iron skillet on a toasted bun with yellow mustard and sweet relish. Or as a chili dog topped with chopped onions and cheddar cheese.

I also really like hot links on a toasted bun with yellow mustard only. Not sure if I like the dogs or the yellow mustard best!

I'd eat them more often, but know they aren't the healthiest food choice. I also know they are full of stuff that would gross me out if I knew it was in there, so I don't want to know what's in there. Ignorance is bliss in this case.

A friend of mine once served turkey dogs to her then young children. Her daughter took a bite, got a funny look on her face and as she pulled back her head came away with a long white feather in her mouth. Put her off turkey dogs for life!

janey_alabama thanked DawnInCal
  • lily316
    7 years ago

Nope, never. Haven't had one in 30 years. They're horrible for one's health with all the nitrates and God knows what else. Yuck.

janey_alabama thanked lily316
  • User
    7 years ago

Another Brooklyn born and bred, it has to be Hebrew National on the grill (and well done) with mustard (HN used to make a good one but cannot find it anymore so now Ba Tampte if you can find it) . If I do put sauerkraut on it has to be fresh in the jar (also Ba Tampte).

• lgmd_gaz
    7 years ago

I do like hot dogs, preferably blackened in an open fire. If I have them with no fire available, I blacken them in a cast iron skillet. Add onions, ketchup and sweet pickle relish for the best eating for me. Only have them maybe 2 or three times a year.

janey_alabama thanked lgmd_gaz
  • caseynfld
    7 years ago

No. I used to but stopped eating them about 5 or 6 years ago. I just got turned off them for some reason. Not that I ate a lot of them, maybe 2 a year.

janey_alabama thanked caseynfld
  • Dakota
    7 years ago

I only like them fried or on the grill and a little charred. I don't like them if they don't have some black on them. I will eat them other ways if I do not have a choice. I like mine with mustard, ketchup, and onion. Sometimes I will add relish. I do also love brats and I will eat those with mustard only

janey_alabama thanked Dakota
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    7 years ago

Oh, yes, I really like hot dogs. I get them at times when we are out and about shopping. I like mine mostly with chopped onion and yellow mustard, but do like them most any way! I too like them sort of blackened on the grill. I could eat them every week.

Sue

janey_alabama thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

I enjoy hot dogs from time to time. All ways- boiled, charred on grill, cooked up with beans. I am surprised none of the New Yorkers here mentioned the onion tomato sauce topping that the truck vendors serve. It is yummy to make and delicious on a hot dog. My father almost always pulled over to treat us.

@Glenda- Thanks for another one of your recipes. I am going to prepare hot dogs your way. My grandkids like hot dogs, bacon, and cheese, so the combination may send them swooning.

janey_alabama thanked happy2b…gw