SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riddhesh94

Confused about watering my gardenia..and it's buds

Riddhesh
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

After killing my previous gardenia due to using the wrong fertilizer, I decided to buy one again which looks very healthy; full of buds as well.

But since the past 3-4 weeks I have owned it, it's driving me nuts! 2-3 Buds were almost done developing, but they dropped! After doing some research online, I read that if the humidity is too low the buds drop. So I tried placing trays of water around my plants, that doesn't seem to help either.

Another thing that confuses me is after every 2-3 days all of the buds droop downwards. After watering it, the buds stand back up again..this leads me to water the plant 2 times a week, sometimes 3 but that's only because all the buds seem to droop.

Where I live, the temperatures are soaring up to 35-38c in the noon, around 20c at night. Humidity is around 50%

Plant is potted in clayish soil, which I suppose could be a problem, but the plant was doing just fine till I bought it haha. I currently amend my water with citric acid to lower the ph, but I'm not sure whether it's helping.

Comments (8)