SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kes4753

Roses That Need To Be Grown More Often

Kes Z 7a E Tn
7 years ago

Like most people, I have a limited budget and limited space. Every year I sit down and take stock of what roses I have and what I would like to get. At first, I simply chose what appealed to me. Then I quickly (very quickly) moved toward what would actually grow here. It is surprising how many of these have turned out to be found roses.

Over time I've realized that every garden has a chance to be a preserve of sorts and grow some wonderful roses that are likely to be lost to commerce- some antique, some not. Does anyone have suggestions for roses that need to be grown more often? It doesn't matter if I can't grow them, maybe someone else will be inspired to give them a try. Also, could you please tell something about the rose-what makes it special, what it needs to do well, how big it gets, who might really like it, etc.?

Comments (47)

• jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

Yes, of course there are. There are all sorts of rare and/or "endangered" roses which folks are trying to save. However, not all roses can be grown well in all areas. If I were you I would look at the web sites of the 2 major heritage/antique rose societies, and get some ideas. The first one is called the Heritage Rose Foundation, here is a link: "//www.heritagerosefoundation.org/";

The second one is called the Heritage Roses Group - here is a link: //www.theheritagerosesgroup.org/

The second one has local chapters in parts of the country. The one nearest you would be a good place to start finding out about and getting information about the type of roses you are interested in.

Jackie

Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked jacqueline9CA
  • jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

Of course, I goofed the link for the Heritage Rose Foundation - trying again:

//www.heritagerosefoundation.org/

Jackie

• Related Discussions

Which roses have you grown simply due to their names?

Q

Comments (61)
    Seil, I like your "Son of a Peach". Tom Carruth used to tell the story of the marketing meeting to name his new (at the time) peach colored mossed mini. One of the other employees came up with "Peach Fuzz" and the rose became HIS. Karen, you could, if it grows well in your area, grow Peace as it was sold in Italy as Gloria Dei (Glory to God) or even Gloria Mundi, the poly. That one is not quite as readily available as Peace, but cuttings can be had if they're wanted. Kim
    ...See More

How often should I water Kordana Roses

Q

Comments (2)
    Give them time. They're settling in and growing roots. When they've got enough root ball they'll start to grow and bloom. Roses need about an inch of water per week. If you're not getting enough rain for that then you'll need to water them. It's better to give them a deep soaking once or twice a week rather than just a little bit every day.
    ...See More

How Often Do Your Grown Children Call?

Q

Comments (61)
    If the mom wants/needs it and the child ALSO wants/needs it, there is nothing wrong with three times a day. However, me, personally? I'd throw my phone away and send him a book of stamps if he called me that much. For me personally, that would be way too needy an expression, I'd be EXTREMELY worried about him and what was going on in his life. For him, it would be an unreasonable expectation on my part. He would cheerfully inform me of this fact. I would expect him to! I'm not so sure that "love" has so much to do with how frequently children speak with their parents or vice versa if the contact between them is reasonable. To me, there is probably a problem within the relationship if someone is feeling abandoned because of the lack of frequency, rather than the "expectations" which aren't being met. That's my take on it.
    ...See More

One More Rose that needs ID

Q

Comments (1)
    Hannah Gordon? https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.3169&tab=36
    ...See More
  • Renee Texas
    7 years ago

Do Lady Banksa count? I love them, and very rarely see them planted!

Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked Renee Texas
  • barbarag_happy
    7 years ago

Souvenir de St. Ann's (Bourbon) -- the wonderful fragrance of SDLM but a much tougher, shade tolerant plant. Low, spreading bush to 4 feet high, ultimately wide. The semi-double blooms of palest pink become almost white. Very disease resistant to blackspot. Repeats very well, even during the summer heat.

Ducher--another tough plant which covers itself with very refined small white blooms on a mannerly bush. Just the thing if you cannot fit in another tea; try this China instead.

Jean Bach Sisley-- china, tea, whatever you call it-- wonderful pink blooms with uniquely creased petals beautiful up close. And from afar, a singularly graceful bush.

All of the above are heat lovers; check hardiness if you're colder than zone 7.

Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked barbarag_happy
  • portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Rose de Rescht

Alba Semi Plena

Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

'Ducher' is also a great rose here, and can bloom when it's too hot or chilly for other roses.

I am thoroughly smitten with "Emmie Gray" from Bermuda. She has luxuriant clean foliage and a narrow, upright habit (from a Noisette ancestor, perhaps?). She is shade-tolerant, and blooms a lot. Probably, she would bloom more with more sun, but as it is, she's frequently covered with buds and blooms. She seems to have some kinship with 'Miss Lowe's Variety'?

A rose I call "Not Madame Messimy" is also generous with blooms when others have stopped blooming in summer heat or winter chill. If you look at the HMF photos for 'Madame Laurette Messimy', you will see two different roses pictured. The lovely rose with yellowish tones to the flowers is presumably correctly identified. But the bloomiferous china pink is the rose I mean. I believe it is available from ARE*, but perhaps another nursery or two? So far, mine has remained a compact plant, but it's in a large pot. Still, I don't have the impression that it wants to get huge; it just wants to flower! It has been suggested that "NML" might be 'Unermüdliche'; possibly, but I'm in no position to judge. It could just as easily be a seedling, perhaps used as an understock?

*Looking at ARE's web site, the photo they have looks like the real 'Mme Laurette Messimy', so perhaps they no longer sell "NML"? Does anyone know if my glorious imposter is still in commerce?

Like "NML","Natchitoches Noisette" is a very good plant here in coastal SC. And I suspect that they are both close kin to 'Old Blush'. "NN" is a larger, more vigorous plant than "NML", though I believe it generally stays smaller than 'Old Blush'. It is also shade tolerant, and in hot, dry climates may actually prefer shade. It has a graceful habit so far, although I keep giving away my larger plants. It roots easily, though, and grows quickly so I do plan to get one in the ground, Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.

I have a lovely bright pink tea that is vigorous, floriferous and delightfully fragranced. I don't know her true identity, so I won't go on about her merits.

A rose I call "Smith's Parish White" is a vigorous grower and bloomer here. The parent of my plants (one in the ground and the other in a large pot) used to have the red striping and occasional red blooms of "Smith's Parish", but in our growing area the plant gradually "lost" the stripes and red blooms, while keeping the pink tinges characteristic of "SP". I'm not sure why "SP" lost it's stripes here, but I do wonder if it might have something to do with soil pH? I think Bermuda and Florida tend to have more alkaline soils than we do here.

I suspect that 'Le Pactole' is going to be a wonderful rose here, but it needs a larger pot. To me, it is nicely fragrant and a lovely pale lemon color.

'Lady Banksia' is widely grown hereabouts; I have a number of plants I grew from cuttings from a yellow and a white 'LB'; unfortunately, they all look alike, so until they flower, I don't know which is which.

I hope this helps,

Virginia

Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked User
  • stillanntn6b
    7 years ago

For the OP, it's also important to know which valley in east Tennessee the roses will be planted. Our soils are very different and some tolerate roses grafted on Dr. Huey and others don't. Some have inches of not very good top soil, others have sands that are perfect for rugosas.

Hillside versus bottom land....make for differences for what grows well here and for roses that sulk.

Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked stillanntn6b
  • User
    7 years ago

I rarely see 'Mme. Berard' mentioned, so here it is once again, if you've not seen any from me before on this. Of course, the rose under this name here might be different elsewhere. It's virtually thornless and makes a good climber in the 'Gloire de Dijon' mould as far as I know..

Comtesse de Leusse'...

This small Tea rose - small for me - is doing really well and I'm delighted with it, in its pot... it's forming a graceful rounded shrub and is shooting out everywhere with new reddish growth... I'm hoping for a good show this season. In its first year, I only got a few blooms, but that's ok... I shall plant it in the garden eventually...

...great information from everyone so far.... lots to learn from for me...

Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked User
  • ksgreenman
    7 years ago

Grus an Teplitz, tall and fairly free blooming, and very fragrant. The flowers do blow rather fast, but this rose was designed so the petals could be dried and used commercially.

This photo was from a few years back, when it was the first rose to open that spring.

Pompon de Bourgogne. One of the first miniature roses. Once-blooming, but very cold hardy, some blackspot, but it doesn't weaken it at all. very nice shape to the shrub as well.

Sophie's Perpetual. I really love this rose, don't know why its not more popular. Would be my first recomendation for someone who wanted a rose in a container. Also very fragrant. Will drape over the edge of the pot.

Don't think they would quite be considered Antique roses, but any of the Pernetianas are underappreciated. Okay, yes, they do have that blackspot problem, but with a couple of exceptions they survive it even with a few denuded lower branches. But they have such brilliant colors and some are also quite fragrant.

Grus an Coberg

wish i had a picture handy of my Condessa de Sastago, but I've misplaced the memory card to my camera. I would also say polyanthas as a class are under appreciated--people have Cecille Brunner and Perle d'Or, but not many others. Anne Marie de Montravel has huge clusters of tiny white blooms, with a fragrance that is unique and takes a bit of getting used to. Here she is just a year old, last year the clusters were three times that size

And I only wish I could find Lady Anne Kidwell=brilliant color, large size blooms for a polyantha. Had her briefly right before I moved, now no one seems to either carry her or have her in stock.

Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked ksgreenman
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

I got Lady Anne Kidwell from Burlington roses mailorder 2016, and I love her!

Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Alana8aSC
    7 years ago

Awesome suggestions everyone, I'm already wanting to order more, but alas-this year I'm already broke from ordering :) I've been trying to get my hands on NN Virginia, but haven't got her...yet. :) I have never seen any stripes on my Smith's Parish either, so maybe it's just us from SC? Something in the water, lol. I love Orpheline de Juliet and she'd not mentioned alot.

I also have MLM and Not Meme Laurette Messimy and love them both. My not- MLM, is pretty good size.

I love the green rose, though it's more of an oddity I guess.

There will be more to add as I am always adding, but those I've had for a while.

I'm too tired to add anything else ATM but will pop back on later! Night!

Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked Alana8aSC
  • User
    7 years ago

ksgreenman, I also got my 'Lady Ann Kidwell' from Burlington, and it's a great rose here.

Alana, I have several rooted cuttings of "NN" just to share, so you are more than welcome to one. I'm expecting to have a bit more energy this week, so maybe I can send you a "NN" and an unidentified Lady Banksia.

I am very intrigued to hear that your "Smith's Parish" is also stripe-less. Did it ever have the red stripes, or did they gradually disappear?

Your Orpheline is always a thing of beauty. I hope you got more cold this winter than we did, but I suspect you didn't get as much winter chill for your OGR's as you were wanting. Fingers crossed.

You may already have Blue Mistflower where you are, but if you don't, I can pot up a few babies and send them along. It blooms in Aug/Sep and the bees and skippers love 'em. Spready native plant, but not ineradicable (if that's a word?).

Virginia

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I spent last night caring for a sick foster dog and will be gone this morning so it will take awhile to answer. Your responses are much appreciated and I'll comment on most of them later if I can't do it now.

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Kes, I hope your foster dog is healing! I am familiar with the worries of a sick pup and am sending good thoughts. Carol

• pat_bamaz7
    7 years ago

Since Natchitoches Noisette is being mentioned, I'll post a couple of pictures of mine. Although it does blackspot some here, it is forgiven because it is just glorious otherwise.

I'm sending best wishes to Kes, too, for her foster dog. We had to put our German Shepherd to sleep this week. He showed up as a stray 6 years ago, and vet thought he was around 5 years old at that time. Hip dysplasia had taken its toll on him this last year or so. The other pups, family and I are broken hearted. Will look for a senior dog to adopt or foster once things settle a bit with our emotions.

• pat_bamaz7
    7 years ago

Forgot to say that I think I'm going to have to get a Sophie's Perpetual for a pot now, ksgreenman :)

• Alana8aSC
    7 years ago

Lovely Photo's Pat thank you!

Honestly Virginia I'm not sure if Smith's Parish ever had stripes..I think he had some lightly to start with I want to say, but I haven't seen any in a while. He's been all white for a while now.

I would love a "NN" with the Lady Banks Virginia Thank You! Didn't you have to wait to identify and get yours out though? I looked up the Blue Mist Flower and it's very pretty! I would love some. I don't think I've seen it before around here. I know I don't have any.

Another rose that I've thought that needs to be better know is Charles Walker's Mignonette. My Favorite Polyantha!

• Alana8aSC
    7 years ago

OHH Virginia GUESS WHAT!!! My Cardinal de Richelieu has buds on him!!! So excited this will be his first year blooming!!

Also I meant to say up top that although I do worry about chill on some of my roses Old European, Gallicas, ect. , Orpheline de Julliet has never let me down, she always gives me lots of bloom :) I think our late frost may have gotten some/ all of their blooms last year...what do you think?

Take care and I hope everyone has a great Spring!

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    7 years ago

Around my parents' home in Santa Monica I can think of one Buff Beauty, three or four Mutabilis, lots of Lady Banks roses, and what I suspect to be an old Susan Louise. I'm worse off a little more inland and will see the occasional Banksia.

Parroting others, I'd love to see more OGRs period! In the sense of less commented on the board, I would offer 'Sunshine,' 'Clytemnestra,' 'Sydonie,' and 'General Schablikine' as roses that deserve to be grown even more by enthusiasts that could manage them in their climate. Disregarding rarity, I'd say everyone should grow whichever of 'Rosette Delizy,' 'Madame Hardy', and 'Boule de Neige' they are able.

Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
  • portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Alana, your success with CdR and OdJ may be a sign that those China Gallica hybrids are a good bet for your climate. Lucky you! Purple. :-)

Your OdJ is positively seductive. Maybe that's a garden plant which should be against the law in SC. It probably causes traffic pile-ups! Carol

• User
    7 years ago

Alana, just after reading your post last evening, I put some shoes on, grabbed a flashlight and went out to look at my CdR and "Matchmaker". No buds, alas! "MM" has lots of new growth, so I haven't given up on buds there, but 'CdR' just doesn't look like he's even thinking about flowering. I'd love to be wrong about that. He did put out a cute little sucker recently, but I'd rather have flowers.

How is your "Matchmaker" faring? Any buds? Do you think it looks like "Ruth's German Rose"? Too soon to tell? Enquiring minds want to know!

I have quite a few Lady Banksia roses I grew from cuttings, and since you want both white and yellow, I feel confident that the rose I plan to send must be one or the other (and not the'Fragrant Snowflake' whose label seems to have drifted to a large White Lady Banksia).

Virginia

• Alana8aSC
    7 years ago

Hey Virginia, no buds yet on "MM" or "Ruth's German Rose". I will report on those two as soon as I have something. I'm so looking forward to some other's that I got in last year too, and this will be their first spring bloom. My cardinal just put out a new small sucker too. I'm looking forward too both the banks roses as well, ohh I've dreamed of them being in my yard! I hope you enjoy your Fragrant Snowflake this Spring!

Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked Alana8aSC
  • Izzy (zone 10)
    7 years ago

Amy Johnson

Sen. Lafolette

Belle of Portugal fighting for supremacy with La Mortola

Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked Izzy (zone 10)
  • User
    7 years ago

Alana, I just went out to check "Matchmaker" and 'CdR'. No buds on the latter, but "MM" has two adorable small buds... a little bigger than my thumbnail- probably about the size of my husband's thumbnail. So cute! I hope your plant has a few buds for you also? I remembered that the flowers were on the small size, but it's been so long since I saw the parent plant in bloom, I'd apparently forgotten just how small...

'CdR' is big and is covered with good-looking foliage, but I want flowers, darn it!

Virginia

• monarda_gw
    7 years ago

I would like to thank every person who posted on this thread!

• altorama Ray
    7 years ago

Francois Juranville, just because it's beautiful.

Glenn Dale. A very hardy rambler, to the tips for me. Beautiful Yellow buds and creamy blooms. Once blooming.

Prinz Hirtzenprinzen, extremely hardy, fragrant, once blooming.

Bouquet Parfait. Lens hybrid musk, blooms more than any rose I have.

Glory of Edzell, once blooming, beautiful foliage.

Unique Panache, once blooming, very fragrant, strong grower, every bloom is different.

R. mulliganni boulenger, gets huge in my zone, clean foliage with great fall color.

Nymph Egeria, blooms all summer.

Also Gerbe Rose, Ghislane De Feligonde, Burgundian Rose, Ferndale Red China and Lavender Lassie. HMF is too slow for me to get to my pictures.

• altorama Ray
    7 years ago

Oh and Lillian Gibson, Blush Hip, and almost all species roses.

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    7 years ago

A fascinating thread.

I recently looked at the rose and plant catalogs from around the time when my house was built and a few years afterwards (late 19th cent./early 20th.). The idea was to plant heirloom roses that were locally popular at that time. I soon gave up on it because, to my great surprise, hardy OGRs completely fell out of favor for many decades around the turn of the century. If I were to plant only the roses popular at that time, those would mostly be hybrid teas and hybrid perpetuals, also many chinas, teas, and bourbons that were massively sold even in colder climates. I'm trying to imagine the frustrations of many trying to grow so many teas in colder zones like mine.

Oddly enough, the only exception for hardy OGRs were moss roses, sometimes even listed under their own heading rather than lumped with other OGRs under the 'miscellaneous' category. ("The varieties of the Damask, French [gallicas], Hybrid China, Provence [centifolia] and Scotch classes are all grouped under one head, viz., Div. 1. Class IV. Miscellaneous Roses." Ellwanger & Barry's catalogue of roses from 1891.) Moss roses were apparently popular for their buds "which, for bouquets and cut flowers, are invaluable" and I suspect for the remontancy of some. They were still greatly outnumbered by hybrid classes.

So my initial plan took a huge turn as albas, gallicas & damasks will surely be in my garden. Of moss roses, I'm very interested in 'Crested Moss' ('Chapeau de Napoleon'), which seems to also be classified as centifolia. It's rarely sold these days. Would also love to try 'Salet.'

• altorama Ray
    7 years ago

Vesfl, where did you find the old catalogs?

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    7 years ago

This 1891 catalogue is here:

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/78019#/summary

It was a Rochester-based nursery that ran from 1840s through the end of the First World War and many of their catalogues were digitalized. There are also a number of other nursery catalogues at the online Biodiversity Library, all in public domain and downloadable. Your roses are gorgeous, altorama.

• jerijen
    7 years ago

The website for the national Heritage Roses Group was changed. It is now:
    http://www.theheritagerosesgroup.org/

• jerijen
    7 years ago

Gosh! No one mentioned "Grandmother's Hat"!!!

• Dara McKay
    7 years ago

Here in the tippiest part of SoCal, Cochets go crazy, never out of bloom, and towering. Francois Juranville may be plotting to eat our yard. Mutabulis, both original and yellow, are big, airy and lovely butterflies. Buff Beauty is currently perfuming our back yard along with Rosette Delizy. And Peggy Martin is rarely out of bloom and everything you (okay, I) desire in a rose. Duchesse D'Auerstadt is a keeper, heavy with bloom, flower and bees at this moment, as is Madame Alfred Carriere. I also find General Gallieni is a great bloomer, and I love the cubist Picasso shapes. And of course Emmie Gray and Lady Ann Kidwell. Oh and Sally Holmes. Oh, oh, the banksias. Vina is a reasonable size, arching, blooms heavily now in spring - come see! - through into early autumn. Our huge yellow is relatively mannerly, but we've had to cut back the white banksia which evidently wishes to cover by height and reach our city-ish block, which is otherwise devoted to (shudder ) Iceberg. Keep trying to think of it as Schneewichen, but it doesn't help.

I love all my other roses too.

• altorama Ray
    7 years ago

Thanks so much vesfl!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    7 years ago

Dara, I'm a bit far to 'come see'!, but would love some photos. Trish

• jerijen
    7 years ago

And, then, there's "Schmidt's Smooth Yellow" which is a dynamite rose.

Jackie, I wish you had been able to see it smiling through the rain last weekend, in Sacramento. But anyhow, here it is being very happy in Camarillo, CA:

• jerijen
    7 years ago

Dara McKay -- Think of Iceberg as a Hybrid Musk, and you'll feel better about it. The purple one's pretty great, too.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    7 years ago

New Orleans Cemetary Bourbon, Benny Lopez, Forest Ranch Pom Pom, Devoniensis, Sweet Nothings, General Gallieni, White Pearl in a Red Dragons Mouth, Marie Pavie, Placerville white noisette, Cinderella noisette, Monsieur Tillier, Secret Garden Musk, Pink Chiffon, Mr Bluebird, Denise Cassegrain, Atmore Lamarque, Purezza, William Allen Richardson, Nastarana, Manchester Guardian Angel.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I wrote a long reply to thank everyone over a week ago- twice!- and it evidently disappeared into cyberspace because it never arrived here. I could comment on other posts but not this one. Also, the little "back" arrow that returns me to the top of the page disappeared from my screen for a couple of weeks. It's enough to give me a complex! The arrow is now back and functional so I'll try again.

Thank you for your kind wishes for Katie, our foster Sheltie. She was feeling much better after several days. Katie has a tendency to eat things that aren't food. I try to be vigilant but Katie is quick and stealthy.

About all the wonderful pictures and suggestions- many thanks for these. You've enabled me- and many others, I hope- for years to come. I had to look up a few of these on HMF. I hope that they will be commercially available in the future for everyone who can find some space.

I've had Charles Walker Mignonette from my last order from Vintage before it closed. It's a super little polyantha, my first rose to bloom this spring, super healthy, hardy, darling pompon white flowers blushed pink in cool weather, generous bloomer and tough. Mine survived having the bird feeder fall on it twice and, while it's shorter and wider, it's none the worse for wear. I hope more people will find a little room for this one. It doesn't take much. I've had Lady Ann Kidwell, Souvenir de St. Anne's, Gruss an Teplitz, Madame Berard and Bouquet Parfait on my wish list. I'm sharpening my pencil to add Schmidt's Smooth Yellow, Mme Laurette Messimy in whatever form, Pompon de Bourgogne, and if we ever buy the neighbor's and demolish the outbuildings, Ghislane de Feligonde and r. mulliganni boulenger. Also Old Gray Cemetery Noisette. Nobody mentioned this one but they should. BTW Grandmother's Hat is in Annie's Annuals and Perennials catalogue. It says that GH is their most popular rose! I have no idea how many they sell, but it sounds like at least a few people were convinced to give it a try.

• monarda_gw
    7 years ago

I'd like to put in a word for Ivory Fashion, a floribunda that used to be seen as a bedding plant. The white flowers are semi-double, much like 'Iceberg' in appearance but with more substance, beautiful contrasting red stamens, and a wonderful fragrance of cloves. The buds are scrolled and it last well in a vase when cut. The foliage is very dark. Strictly speaking it is not an old rose, since it was introduced in 1958 -- sixty years ago in 2018 ("sixty years since " was Walter Scott's definition of "historical", no?). It was an All America selection and the recipient of a certificate of merit from the Royal National Rose Society. The owner of Roses Unlimited said she would always grown this one. It was a parent of the shrub rose Jacqueline du Pres, on whom it bestowed distinctive red stamens. Perhaps it has lost vigor or needs to be budded.
    Bloom: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.21235 

Bud: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.8550

Alas unlike the custom of flattery as described by Sir Walter Scott, it is no longer in fashion:
    "It was in fashion sixty years since, is now and will be sixty years hence, if this compound of folly and knavery, called this world shall be then in existence." -- Waverly

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    7 years ago

I really should be growing the species roses more...rather than the Austins or hybrids, many of which resent my thin dry air and intense sun at 7,000 ft elevation, and wild climatic fluctuations. The species that do well here would be R. woodsii and R. glauca. Rosa banksiae does well here and is frequently planted here...but is usually sheared into gumdrops, which puts my hair on end like nails on a chalkboard.

• altorama Ray
    7 years ago

Noseometer, I have r. Glauca and I love it, the foliage is stunning.

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    7 years ago

What a great thread! I really can't think why Rosa roxburghii isn't grown more often in my area (outside Florence Italy). It certainly should be. It copes so well with the extreme conditions here.

It's practically no-maintance, a balanced nicely-shaped shrub with delicate blowsy painted-silk blooms and pretty fern-like pale green foliage.

I barely water it (probably once or twice during the worst of the summer), and it never seems to struggle in the heat which can be pretty dreadful in August. Healthy with never an aphid, blackspot or caterpillar in sight! And because of its rounded shape and foliage right down to the ground, it doesn't need underplanting and can be placed in a narrow border on its own. All these praiseworthy attributes and it's almost impossible to find, especially r. roxboughii 'normalis'.... and I have NEVER seen it in anyone's garden here. Struggling, scraggly HTs abound, but this healthy champion of a rose is MISSING from the vocabulary!

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Anna-Lyssa, your Rosa Roxbourghii is so lovely! I didn't realize it was such a tough rose. Thank you for the great photo. About how tall and wide does it get for you? Do you have it in full sun all day? You have a real treasure there. Lisa

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    7 years ago

Hi Lisa! Thanks :) I think it's lovely too, but I think because it's so "different" (from the very popular hybrid teas here), people don't register it as a rose and don't appreciate it as much as they might!

For me it's about 150cm x 150cm maybe a bit more and hasn't grown much since last year so I'm assuming it's going to stay at about that. It grew like a weed its first year (it's now 4 years old) and is in nearly full sun during the summer months. Scorching, unforgiving sun for about 2 months. But I've seen them at the giardino di Ninfa south of Rome in practically full shade (nb mine seemed happier).

It's sitting next to Capitaine John Ingram (another easy-going exquisitely beautiful rose), and when they're in bloom at the same time, I go mad with joy, the dark blooms of the capitaine drawing out the delicate shading of roxburghii.

Here's a photo of the full shrub from last year (sorry for the bad quality of the photo) but it gives an idea of shape and perhaps size.

People come to see my garden and see the David Austin rose "Falstaff" further down this narrow flower bed and they go into absolute extasies over ONE nice bloom on that, on a horrid looking, struggling plant (wrong plant wrong place), bare legged and pathetic. And I try to point them just a few steps further along, to this magnificent BEAUTY of a plant that LOVES its life here, looks healthy and happy and is absolutely gloriously in the right place, and they don't care one jot! It boggles the mind.

• User
    7 years ago

I've gotta get me one of them!!!

• erasmus_gw
    7 years ago

I was just thinking rosa roxburghii when I came upon your picture. The small leaves make it have a soft looking texture. The older canes have peely beige bark. The sepals are bristly. It's bs free here too. It has a lot of vigor and can take some shade.

I have a Borderer in a pot that is starting to stand out to me:

Phyllis Bide is new to me and growing well: