SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skookumoose

Subdivision vs. Roll Over of Farm Land

skookumoose
7 years ago

Hello! My husband has recently been informed by his employer that he will soon be transferred back to the area of the country where his family lives. This has been our goal for the last several years and we are very excited about it. His parents own a rural section of land, which they farm. It has always been our intention to build a house of our own on a portion of this land, which will be our "forever" home. His parents have graciously offered to roll over a quarter section of their land (which will be what my husband inherits upon their deaths), to us, so that we may build our house. This transaction would be fairly straightforward, however because their livelihood still depends on this land, there would need to be a life estate in place, which would allow them continued ability to farm the land. I am a planner and like to ensure all decisions are made in an informed way, with all scenarios considered. We are still young (mid 30's), and although our hope is to age in place in this "forever" home, we know unforeseen things can happen. What if one of us dies, what if a career opportunity materializes, what if our kids move away and we want to follow them, etc. There are many scenarios that could result in us wanting or needing to sell the house and move. For this reason, we felt it was prudent to pursue subdivision of the land, rather than simply roll it over. By subdividing a small acreage out of the quarter that we will eventually inherit, we remove the ties between our home and the farm, thus allowing us to sell if we ever needed to, without affecting the farm business. We are very hesitant to put all our equity into a home on land that we cannot simply sell if need arises. Unfortunately, as we have begun looking into the process of subdividing, we have been made aware that the county does not often approve such subdivisions (a bare first parcel subdivision). This had thrown a wrench in our plans. Just wondering if anyone has any insight they could offer. Are we overthinking things, and should just get the land rolled over? Should we continue to purse subdivision (lengthy and costly) anyway? Are there any other options we have not yet considered? Your thoughts are appreciated!

Comments (11)