SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chardy_har_har

Starting an urban farm

chardy_har_har
9 years ago

Greetings all.

I have read a great deal on these forums and have used the search function to track down all kinds of useful information. I thought that I might share some information about the project I'm working on in Topeka, KS. I don't have any specific questions at the moment, but I'm sure my inexperience will make many of you cringe. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

First, my experience: In mid-2012, I purchased a home in the urban core of Topeka. The home had a large side lot, and I figured growing a garden beat mowing so I tilled up most of it, added horse manure and leaves, started composting, and, in 2013, I planted a good sized garden (2500 sq ft or so). I started my own pepper and tomato plants, and grew what I thought would be fun, e.g., Armenian cucumbers, purple beans, melons, and several hundred sweet potato slips. I ate well and gave much of it away. I did the same in 2014, but started more plants and was able to give them away as well. I also bought some vacant lots to the south of my house and tilled those up which gave me an additional quarter acre of grow space. I planted 300 watermelon and cantaloupe plants. I ate a lot of watermelon and cantaloupe, but also gave a bunch of it away. Slicing watermelon for neighbors at the annual neighborhood picnic was a highlight of my summer. That's my growing experience.

In late 2013 I went to the county tax sale and ended up being the high bidder on a couple 3 acre tracts of vacant land. The combined cost for the six acres was less than an acre of ag land. The tracts are adjacent. One is long and narrow; the other is C shaped. There are individual lots owned by multiple owners to the north and east of my property. I am in the process of buying five lots (an additional acre) from one of the landowners. When that closes, my border will look like this:

At the time of purchase I had plans for some urban agriculture, but had one problem: because there was no structure on the land, i.e., a house, and the land was zoned residential, I was limited to growing grass on the land and nothing else. Growing food was not a permitted primary use of the property. It would, of course, be a permitted secondary use. I did not want to start the process (and investment) of improving the soil only to have someone complain about my efforts and have to stop. Long story short: I worked with several community stakeholders to get a very permissive community gardening / urban agriculture ordinance passed. Although it requires a permit, growing food is now a permissible primary use, and the ordinance even allows for on-site sales. I applied for and received the first permit.

So that brings us to 2015. I just bought a Ford 9n, a two bottom plow, and a disc to turn some soil. I will do 2 or 3 acres this year. I thought it would be entertaining to put it all in squash: blue and green hubbard, sweet meat, buttercup, butternut, spaghetti, acorn, delicata, etc. I bought enough bulk seed from Mountain Valley to do 3 acres. I hope to do this squash as a dryland crop, but I do have access to a fire hydrant (and fire hydrant meter) if things get too dry. I would love to do it all in sweet potatoes, but the cost is too much this year.

Future plans: irrigation, hoop house, more diverse crops, storage and sales structure, acquire remaining north and east lots if possible.

I signed up for a booth at the farmers market. For most of the season I will be selling produce grown from the lots adjacent to my house. I'll be trying my hand at succession planting this year and cut flowers. At the market I will also be letting people know about my larger acreage and plans to sell there (especially in the fall). Hopefully I'll be able to move some of that squash. If not, there are several places where I can donate it and see that it goes to good use.

I would really like on-site sales / pickup to become the model. Otherwise, this is how I'm getting produce to market:

Granted, I'm pretty excited to roll my local grown produce to market via pedal power. That's one benefit of growing less than two miles from the farmers market.

Well, that's the plan for now. I may end up with a 3 acre weed patch, but hopefully not.

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21