SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barton_gw

Net eco cost of recycling vs tree farming

barton
16 years ago

I thought this might be a place to stimulate discussion. We are all composters here so there may be a different perspective.

At work there is a huge "shred bin" of paper to be picked up, shredded and recycled. Large diesel trucks make rounds and pick up the paper. I assume it then goes to some sort of powered shredder, then is trucked again to a pulp mill. I don't know how it gets turned back into paper. I would guess that includes some sort of chemical soak to loosen the fibers, then rinses to get out the ink.

It seems to me that there is a power cost and pollution cost to recycling, before it ever gets back to a pulp mill. Of course there is a power and pollution cost of tree farming in the first place.

It boggles the mind to think of everything one would have to account for. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to run some sort of "environmental balance sheet".

One one side: Recycling doesn't really save trees, because they are farmed, and planted for the purpose. The mills use the trunks for lumber, the bark is sold as biodegradable mulch, and the limbs are shredded for paper. Farmed trees provide a renewable source of lumber.

On the other: There is no comparison between a tree farm and a forest, any more than there is between a cornfield and a prairie. All the bad things you can say about commercial farming would hold true for tree farming I suppose.

I wonder.. has an open minded scientist ever tried to crunch the data? How would he or she ever get funding for such a study? How could it be fair? The findings would be suspect if the research was industry-funded. Government funding is subject to political whims.

The inconsistencies abound.. the SUV that pulls into the recycling center to drop off two bags of newspaper. The secretary who takes the elevator down to the shred bin with a handful of paper. The mahogany furniture in the CEO's office, with the sign in the adjacent break room imploring "save trees".

Just from the perspective of ordinary people, you and me, what do you think of paper recycling?

My view is use less, compost what you use.

What do you think?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths