SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhall2000

5 acre farm, need a tractor, can I get away with just a zero turn

lmhall2000
15 years ago

We have a litle over 5 acres...the house sits on 1, we have a good sized barn ...a 1/2 acre pond and some big century+ oaks sprinkled throughout. We have 2 horses on the back pastures and I'm out there everyday mucking the pastures and composting (trying to control the flies)...I'd like to get away with just a zero turn to mow the pastures with to keep the weeds under control without resorting to 2-4D everytime one pops up. I plan on cutting the pastures once every 3 weeks at the highest setting (a John Deere one running about $6200 that is supposed to have lower gauge steel components and handle the pastures better) and my yard about once a week...Our land is pretty flat..here's a picture for you..some are trying to talk me into a larger tractor with a bushhog element but I hoped I could get away with the zero turn...whaddya think?? Some horse owners say you need to cut it the pastures higher at about 8-10 inches, but I just have two and they have plenty to eat...the JD gave me almost up to a 6 inch cutting deck on that zero turn one...shouldn't that be enough? I've tried to resize the picture 6x..it shows a much smaller picture on photobucket but comes out huge here...sorry

{{gwi:331015}}

Thank you all! I'd also consider a standard lawn tractor, just figured I could do it faster with a zero turn..

Tara

Comments (37)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions