SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saabturbo99

Privacy Screen - 12' between fence and house. Spartan Juniper?

saabturbo99
7 years ago

Hi guys,

I've done research on the topic, searched the forums, etc...but just wanted a little more feedback...

I'm trying to screen the side of my home from a nasty old man of a neighbor. Even if nice people lived there, we'd want some privacy as our den is right there.

The area we have to work with is 11-12 feet in width from the side of our home to the chain link fence separating us and the neighbor. There are currently shrubs against the house. I would remove these and replace that area with lawn so that I can plant against the fence and still have room to walk through.

I'm on Long Island, and am trying to find that delicate combination of ~15 feet tall, 3-5 feet wide, evergreen, and OK with snow loads. I was considering Hetz Wintergreen Arborvitae as I read they tend to be single leader, and thus good with snow. I will have to see if they are available in my area. I just now read about Spartan Juniper...and it was hard to determine how they are with snow load.

I also may be able to go a little wider than 3-5 feet...whatever you think is an appropriate width considering I have a 11-12 foot wide area and need to be able to walk through the area and want the house to "breathe". Just trying to plan it out now a bit so I can hopefully do this for the spring.

Thanks!

Alex

Comments (9)