SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parehm

Ideas for Privacy - Between Fence and Retaining Wall

parehm
8 years ago

Hello,

I am located in NC (zone 8). I recently put up a 6ft privacy fence for my dog, and for some privacy. Unfortunately the houses behind me are on a hill, therefore the fence provides no privacy. Our lot is oddly shaped, with a retaining wall running through the middle. I planted 5 crape myrtles already, about 10 ft. apart, to provide some privacy. Because my yard is pretty small, I was looking to plant deciduous trees rather than conifers, as conifers will take up way too much space. I also planted the trees for some shade.

There is a section of my yard where I still need to plant some things for privacy. This section is in between the fence and retaining wall. I am unsure what I should plant here, as the gap goes from about 7 feet wide down to about 1 foot, so I likely can only plant a few trees where it is wider. Also there is a fair amount of stone in the ground from the construction of the retaining wall.

I was thinking of putting a couple of Hetz Wintergreens because they grow fairly fast, yet shouldn't get wider than 6'. Would they do ok in a spot like this? Or should I look at perhaps planting one big shade tree on the ground in front of the retaining wall, and wait for that to fill in to provide the privacy I'm looking for? Also, the retaining wall is about 25-30 feet from my house, so I am hesitant to put a big tree there for that reason.

Any ideas? From the pictures below you can see I have a dogwood I planted there. I am open to move this for other privacy ideas. I just planed it there for now as I wasn't sure what I was going to do.

Thanks!

Comments (14)