SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrship

Need help filling landscaping gap in privacy screen, please! :) Zone 5

Mrs. Hip
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Zone 5 Northern Illinois.

Hello! Thought I would post because I am stumped and everyone here is so graciously helpful. Even though our neighbors behind us are wonderful, the houses are so close together we wanted to add a privacy screen along the back fenceline. We do not need an impenetrable wall...I just want to feel less exposed. I also didn't want the entire run to be arborvitae, so a young landscaper advised that we just put the Emerald Green Arborvitae (currently 6' - 7', maturity 12' - 15') for the width of the neighbor's house and then we could "fill in the sides with whatever you like". I just planted an interesting tree to the right of the shed....Goldspire Ginkgo, very columnar variety that is yellow in the fall and should mature to 14' - 16 tall and 5' - 6' wide. We will see how it works.

I am however, stumped with the right back corner. Currently there is a white hydrangea that just doesn't feel right after we put the new fence in last Fall. Part of me wants to put a larger, darker green Juniper in the furthest corner that gets up to 20', then in between that and the arborvitae put a columnar dwarf blue spruce just for some different texture and color, but then I fear its too much "tall". My husband would like to get a lilac tree in that back corner (8' to 10' tall), and then put a skinny blue-colored juniper (10' - 12') in between the lilac and the arborvitae, but then I fear a "shorter" bush at the end of a tall line is going to look awkward. I just don't know...I don't know the rules. I want it to feel organically balanced but not a mirror image. Any ideas or recommendations for this area for Zone 5 northern illinois? I've outlined the area in a white box. The area is 16' wide. Whatever we put in here needs to stay under 25' because of the power lines (ideally). Thank you so much!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting