SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucie_tuan

Zone 8 north facing shady front yard garden - where to start?

L T
7 years ago

I just bought the house and love the front yard, I think it has really good "bones". Nevertheless there are things that don't look quite right to me, but I don't have enough experience to put my finger on it. Please help advise...this is in rainy and dark Seattle. It faces the north, sits at a down slope, shaded by trees, neighbors, the house, and the elevated street. My previous yard know-how is the drought tolerant kind of landscaping, lush Northwest is definitely new to me.

1. I want some privacy hedge between myself and neighbor - will a container with bamboo work? It is very narrow, maybe 1'6" only.

2. I find the evergreen trees/shrubs? very dense and dark, to the point that I see lots of bird poo on the walkway. Should I trim or remove?

3. I want to find a place for a coral bark Japanese maple to bring in some red color in winter, but not sure if it can do well in this much shade.

4. The tree ring under the big magnolia looks very bare to me. It has a few hellebores but they don't look healthy. What can I try there? I love the look of vinca and ice plants but they run amok...

5. Any chance of introducing succulents in this type of shady

environment?

Thank you!

Comments (5)

Sponsored