SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joycegriffin_gw

Novice Gardener wants to start another bed...what to plant Zone 8

joycegriffin
12 years ago

OK. I know it is late to be thinking along these lines but I don't have anymore room in my garden. I'm a school teacher and I'm bored. I'm pretty much out in the yard come 7 AM and can't find much more to do.

I'm thinking about putting in a long plot along my fence line next to my garden. It would be a raised bed about 2-3 feet wide and about 30 feet long (for now)I could eventually take it about 60 feet but I need to clear some brushy type trees toward the front of the yard first. I've thought about putting nylon trellising along the fence and having all my vining plants over there next year. What can I put in this late?

I already have plenty of tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, squash (someday...but that's another story), and peppers. Can I still put out pole beans? I have a couple of packages of seeds that I never put out. I also bought 2 packages of cowpea seeds (one california blackeyed peas and one pinkeye purple hull). I've never planted cow peas but I know I like to eat them. :) The packages says April to June so it's almost too late but I guess it's worth a try. What would you guys plant?

I'm zone 8 near Ft. Worth.

Joyce

Comments (9)