SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bedo18

Need help with landscape design for smaller, north-facing front yard

Megan
6 years ago

I have a smaller raised bungalow in desperate need of some landscaping help in the front yard. I'll attach photos in a separate post.

There's currently narrow beds along the house and along the street, grass everywhere else. The small tree on the left (white flowers) is a dwarf apricot, planted last year. I'd prefer not to move it, but it's still possible if needed. I'm not particularly attached to anything else.

The front yard faces north/northeast and between the house and the large cedars (neighbour's yard) it doesn't get a ton of sun. We're in BC, Canada, USDA zone 6a, zone 5 on the Canadian system. It's very dry here, with about 10" (<250mm) of rain annually. We're in a river valley and don't get a ton of snow either.

I'd prefer a fairly low maintenance design, and I like the idea of incorporating as many edibles as possible. Because the yard isn't very private (corner lot on two busier residential streets), we don't really use it much as a "living" space. I love the idea of "botanical garden" style front yards but I think that's beyond the amount of maintenance I'd want to do at this point. I'm happy to see some (or all) of the grass go, though.

I appreciate any help with design, suggestions for plants, etc. Thanks!

Comments (4)