SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starchild2008

Creating an arbor of roses and clematis on north facing wall zone 6

Cat
6 years ago

I'm working on creating an arbor of climbing roses with old garden climbers. One is already growing in the right spot, and one is being transplanted from my rose garden where it totally took over in 2 years to that back spot opposite the other one. I'm using tipis of wood sticks to hold them. The problem is they only climb to around 8-9 ft on each side and I have to find a way to fill in the top to create an arbor effect. Clematis came to mine, but I need one that will grow really tall (not Sweet Autumn I already have that out front and it's way way too dense), and on a North facing wall. It is in a microclimate and right now light is coming in bc the Maple tree has no leaves on it yet. It will be protected on 3 sides from wind and cold. House, nursery, fence to West. Does anyone know of any white clematis or if I have to, red clematis that scramble up fast to fill in the tops of this arbor idea?

Both roses are red, one deep dark red, and the other cherry red, so red Clematis is a little, well, boring. But if that's all I can get, it will likely look like part of the rose because it has open petals they are old antique roses. Ideas? Zone 6b and thank you anyone

Comments (12)