SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Drying My Tears

sheilajoyce_gw
7 years ago

I had a good cry this morning watching Mrs. Miniver for the umpteenth time. They are showing past Oscar winners for the month leading up to the Oscars, and I spotted this favorite to record. I love Greer Garson and Walter Pigeon, the stars. Set in the early days of Hitler's conquests in Europe and before England and later the USA enter the war, we see the crisis build in the Miniver's village of Belham as war comes to England. I love the scene in which all the small boats are called to action in the middle of the night, little boats steaming down the English waterways gathering at the port where the huge battleship awaits them to tell them they are all sailing to Dunkirk to save the troops whose backs are to the shore. It was an emotional propaganda film directed by William Wyler to remind the audiences in the United States what was going on in Europe.

Furthermore, there is something about Greer Garson that so reminds me of my own mother. So it was a treat to watch this film as I worked on the tablecloth I am crocheting for our dining room table and dabbed away the tears at the climax. I crocheting a cloth for the table when I don't need to use any of the leaves for our holiday meals. It should be done with plenty of time for Easter dinner.

Comment