SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbaldauf6112

Help Choosing Dining Light which leads to more.

mbaldauf6112
7 years ago

Hello. I'm cross posting this on the recommendation of someone on another forum.

We are in the final stages on new construction. I've held up really good until now and the lighting has me overwhelmed and feeling stressed so I'm coming here for advice and ideas.

Here's a little about us and the house. We're relaxed and fairly casual and like to have family and friends over. I'd describe our style as a mix of farmhouse meets lake house with a simple, welcoming but classy style. Our kitchen, dining and living are all open. Cabinets will be white shaker with a trim detail on the inset edge to soften that hard edge. Island will be Colonial White with a greige and white background, specks of grey, black, taupe and a hint of pinks in the granite. Walls will be SW Sea Salt, white trim and satin nickel hardware.

Dining table is a long farmhouse and we haven't chosen chairs yet. (Any suggestions here?)

I saw this light at a Parade of Homes in our area and fell in love with the cool shadows from the lighting. We want a rectangular or more linear look so I found this amazing, perfect light BUT it's way over budget. Our budget is tight so I'm stretching it as far as possible. For dining I'd like to stay around $400. I can go up to $500 if I find something that's perfect!

Heres some pictures of the house. We're painting this week so we're actually further along but these show the rooms,etc.

Kitchen is next to dining area and across from living area. Ceilings are 9'. Oh, the island will be SW Tricorn black distressed.

This is looking at dining area in the far corner.

Cabinet detail.

This is not the best picture but our wall paint, granite, white shiny subway tile and cabinets and trim are SW Snowbound.

Here's are my inspiration lights.

First is from the Parade of Home but is round and we feel a linear light would be better.

Second is my favorite light! It made my heart skip a beat when I saw it. Now, each time I see it I like it more and more. It feels like home. But it's $1,200!

Below is a good alternative to my heart stopping light but it's a little busier than what I prefer. It was suggested on the kitchen forum. I DO like it and like the rope/jute detail and that it's unique. Not a typical big box store light. Also, much more affordable!

How would I mix the finishes? Would the other kitchen and living room lights need to be dark or could this be the only dark fixture because it's near the black island?

Help!!! I'm in total overload mode and my brain might short circuit soon!

Thank you all.

Sunny

Comments (16)