SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshomack

There is NO Grass Seed that meets my needs?? (Atlanta)

J
7 years ago

I am in Atlanta, GA, the transition zone. My new house has a very large, flat yard with basically some weeds and patches of grass of some unknown sort. Mostly it's just a mess, and I have dreams of a nice beautiful green yard where I can walk barefoot in the summer. The thing is, I can't find ANY seed that meets my needs and I am hoping for some advice. Important considerations:

1. I do NOT want a cool season grass. My backyard is not for looks, it's for function. The majority of my usage will be during the summer months when it's warm and I will be outside. Not sure why cool season grass is so popular here, but I don't want it brown and useless in the summer when I need it most.

2. There are some large trees, I would call it partial shade.

3. I can't use sod. There yard is so huge sod would likely cost $5K- $10K or more. I don't want to spend that on some grass.

4. After all my research it seems the only seed that meets my needs is Bermuda...but then I read that it's invasive and terrible. I plan on having flower beds and fruit trees in my backyard, as well as privacy hedges around the perimeter. I don't want Bermuda if it will crowd out other plants and make it impossible to gross anything else.

Do I have any options? I know nothing will be perfect, but is Bermuda my best option?

Comments (6)