SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lee676

My New Grass Seed Didn't Grow - what did I do wrong?

lee676
13 years ago

Hi All,

About a month ago I planted some new grass seed to fill in a large area of my yard that had either scant patches of grass or no grass at all (just dirt). It's near Washington DC and it gets reasonably good sunlight. At the recommondation of the nursery I bought from, I used Scott's Turf Builder Sun and Shade Mix, along with Greenview Grass Seed Accelerator pellets and, in some areas, some seeding soil. The ground was rather hardened, but I did my best to rake up the top half-inch or so to loosen it. I then spread the seeds as recommended on the package, and raked it in some. Watered every day for three weeks.

The seed bag says to expect results in 5 to 10 days. It's been twice that long, and all I see are a few stray blades of grass, a few new patches of grass here and there, more new weeds, and mostly, still large patches of dirt.

I'm thinking maybe the soil was too hardened or lacking in nutrients. But even in the areas that got the new topsoil (which I used for levelling the yard), it didn't grow.

Any ideas? Should I try again, and how?

(Note - I'm an utter newb at growing anything, having lived in high-rises for much of my adult life).

Thx.

Comments (14)